Colour Palette Tool

Digital_Dragon

Re: Colour Palette Tool

Post by Digital_Dragon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:08 am

erockbrox wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:53 am
So where is the list of the real RGB values of the NES color pallet? Like I saw a list on page one, but someone said it was wrong?!?!?!?
I'm not sure you understand, there are no 'real' RGB values. The NES outputs an encoded composite signal that has to be translated back into RGB by the display. The chips simply don't have RGB numbers for the colours. And how a display translates the composite varies wildly, which is why there are so many palettes available. Most TV's tended to boost the colours, and emulators often 'eyeballed' their palettes, making them too bright and garish. However, 'accurate' palettes can look too dark and dull due to most displays boosting the colours.

There is no 'real' palette, however you could try;
1) FBX Composite Direct - The most 'accurate' translation of the composite signal.
2) NES Classic - An 'official' one by Nintendo.
3) Wavebeam - My favourite, not too dark like FBX's but not too garish like emulators.

Hope this helps :D
Mihoshi20

Re: Colour Palette Tool

Post by Mihoshi20 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:18 pm

The problem is that the PPU doesn't generate RGB values, this is why many early NES RGB mods required Playchoice-10 PPUs. Instead the PPU generates a sort of varying wavelength and passes that to a composite signal which the TV then inturprets as color bursts to be displayed to the screen. The problem comes with the way the NTSC standard handles this translation and color adjustments such as brightness, contrast, and tint make it worse giving NTSC the nickname of "Never The Same Color". The PAL standard handles things a bit better but even it has color inaccuracies when compared to a clean NTSC composite signal or pilling he signal directly from the PPU. FirebrandX has done extensive research into this and using color calibration techniques and high quality studio monitors has sampled colors in various ways to try and provide the most accurate colors possible and then created palettes to use in emulators and special NES/FamiCom hardware mods. These are the ones we'd prepped for NESmaker 4.1.0/5.0.