Mermay's Den

Mihoshi20

Mermay's Den

Post by Mihoshi20 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am

For the first time ever Mermay's Den is available for play by the general public. Developed in the beta version of NESmaker 3.1.0 - 3.1.4(Pi)(Empty), it made for a great learning experience not only on how to use NESmaker but the quirks of the NES hardware itself.

Help Mermay journey through the dark underwater depth of the ocean as she tries to make her way back home. Swim along sunken pirate ships, molten hot volcanic caves, and deadly seaweed jungles as you make your escape! Can you survive both the dangers of the depths and the creatures that lurk within?

Engine by the NESmaker team. Modified movement engine by MistSonata. Graphics and further ASM tweaks and changes by yours truly. Music and effects by the ever wonderful CutterCross.

Follow the development and screenshots here on the forums WIP section. www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=180

I hope you all have as much playing it as I did on the journey to make it.
Mermays_Den_010b_final.nes.zip
(23.8 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
dale_coop

Re: Mermay's Den

Post by dale_coop » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Oh nice! Thank you Mihoshi.
Very glad to be able to play to your game (will download and keep it for tomorrow night --when I am alone at home--)
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE
matthew954

Post by matthew954 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:02 pm

I'll be playing it tonight after work, I've been wanting to try it ever since Joe showed it at the live stream.
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Now you all have the chance to play it until you're hearts content. It's not very long. But I have to say I really enjoy playing it. I may revisit it someday and make it a full game.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:35 pm

Just downloaded it and beat the whole game! Great job!
Although I noticed a weird issue where the last portion of the music repeats a couple times before looping to the beginning of the song.
The Tower of Turmoil: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1348
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:11 pm

CutterCross wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:35 pm
Although I noticed a weird issue where the last portion of the music repeats a couple times before looping to the beginning of the song.
Hmm, it's not really supposed to do that unless you die so I may have to check it out and let it sit idle and doing it when you die is a bit of a quick fix to stop it from being silent after you die.
SeaFoodAndButter

Post by SeaFoodAndButter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:13 pm

Mihoshi20 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:11 pm
CutterCross wrote:
Hmm, it's not really supposed to do that unless you die so I may have to check it out and let it sit idle and doing it when you die is a bit of a quick fix to stop it from being silent after you die.
Cool game! But, somehow I managed to soft lock the game in the first 20 secs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNMYFmA ... e=youtu.be
Thanks for any help, I'm a rookie at this!
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:24 pm

SeaFoodAndButter wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:13 pm
Mihoshi20 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:11 pm
CutterCross wrote:
Cool game! But, somehow I managed to soft lock the game in the first 20 secs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNMYFmA ... e=youtu.be
LOL, well there's a fun little either collision alignment I didn't catch or something weird that happened to my games beta tester too where they got stuck in a spot like that and I tried over and over again to recreate it and couldn't so I ignored it. If you manage to do it again in the same spot let me know and I'll investigate.
neomage50

Post by neomage50 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:44 am

Just played it for a video i'm making of homebrew games....and i had to reset the game twice. 1 time because i got stuck in the solid tile on one of the screens. and then again when it froze on me when i got the second treasure...and then after getting the third one i went up screen to be lost in purgatory. other then that i had a good time.
R Cohrs

Post by R Cohrs » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:10 am

Put the game on my Everdrive and just gave it a test run.
Really like that music track! Got to the octopus and ended up flying off the screen to the left. Ended up in a weird garbage data land so swam over a fee screens and got stuck under the floor in treasure room 2.

Gave it another play and got 3 treasures but couldn't control the character well and hit the ceilings for instant death too many times. Will probably give it another shot later.

I like the concept. Reminds me of Pixels game Ikachan.