Super Beta Bros. 3 (AKA "My First NESmaker Game")

MistSonata

Re: Super Beta Bros. 3 (AKA "My First NESmaker Game")

Post by MistSonata » Sat May 19, 2018 7:05 am

On today's episode of "how much crap can I cram into a single sprite sheet", I've developed some of the sprites for some random enemies that I've gotten rather attached to. I've added some "hurt" poses to all of them.

The large one is named Violet the Witch, and the others are her urchins. Sort of child-like creatures, two of whom are based off of sea urchins. There's also two types of projectiles, a fireball and spines that'll shoot out of the purple urchin, as well as some random stuff like a torch, boomerang, and the top of a magic staff (these will probably not be used for now).

All these graphics are from this sprite sheet:

It should be noted that Violet herself is a decently sized 3x3 sprite tile character, so her design has to be pretty modular.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sat May 19, 2018 8:50 am

Wahou, superb! nice cute characters. Very nice animations too.
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
jsherman

Post by jsherman » Sat May 19, 2018 11:39 am

That's some beautiful 8-bit artwork there! And very efficient!
Craigery

Post by Craigery » Sat May 19, 2018 11:48 am

The bulging eye sprites are pretty great
stevenshepherd

Post by stevenshepherd » Sat May 19, 2018 1:48 pm

I am finding that symmetry is definitely your friend when it comes to making sprites.
MistSonata

Post by MistSonata » Mon May 21, 2018 6:21 am

I don't know if anyone remembers the princess character I posted way back, but I've been working on her today and I think I'm mostly done. Unfortunately, the "waking up" animation I'm hoping to have her do when the game begins isn't going to be possible with the current beta version, so I thought I'd show it off.

Also here's some other stuff I've done messing around with palette limitations. My Ralph probably wouldn't work in an actual NES game, but it was still fun.

By the way, thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it :)
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:21 am

MistSonata wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:21 am
I don't know if anyone remembers the princess character I posted way back, but I've been working on her today and I think I'm mostly done. Unfortunately, the "waking up" animation I'm hoping to have her do when the game begins isn't going to be possible with the current beta version, so I thought I'd show it off.

Also here's some other stuff I've done messing around with palette limitations. My Ralph probably wouldn't work in an actual NES game, but it was still fun.

By the way, thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it :)
With that color of Felix, makes me think of what player 2 would have looked like.