Dino Kaiser WIP

PewkoGames

I'm a big fan of Donkey Kong so I'm trying to make an arcade game in that vien.

dino_kaiser_screen_by_gruntchovski-dcpkudq.jpg

dino_kaiser_by_gruntchovski-dcpkudm.jpg

Dino Kaiser is a mix between donkey kong and mario bros. Like Donkey Kong its a single screen per level game with the main antagonist throwing projectiles at you which you have to dodge or jump on to kill. Unfourtunatly the Ladders have been removed, but I'm getting around that by making it a jump centered game like mario.

So far I've got the player (Russian Alligator) to move and jump. I also have the pow block mechanic set up.

Things I'm having trouble with:

I want Dino Kaiser to not move and attack the player with projectiles, ones that you can stomp on as opposed to just jumping over them. I want them to be like the barrels though as in they roll down the platforms.

I have No idea how to do that. I got goomba like drones working for the most part. I want ones that stay on a specific platform though. Again I am having trouble with that.

To beat the level you just have to get on top of Dino Kaisers platform. I assume I can use checkpoints for this.

Things to add in the future:

A projectile power up for the player that is TEMPORARY. Like the hammer in Donkey Kong, it dissapears after a time.

Simple Cutscenes, like pacman intermissions after you get past a set number of levels.

A High Score system if its doable in the future.

Any help would be appreciated and let me know what you think. The plot of this game or lack thereof is intentionally stupid.

Dirk

Kaiser Wilhelm and crocodiles/alligators seem to have struck a chord :)
I like your sprites.
Unfortunately I can't really help you.

PewkoGames

Thanks everyone!

I think I figured out how to produce barrel like objects. So next to the Dino Kaiser I have a fireball producer, but I edited the hex value to one of the Monster objects.

It works but its only producing half one corner tile of the monster, its not animating and is goes straight to the left of the screen and then it stays there.

Is there any way someone could explain the correct way to use a fireball producer to produce a monster?

dale_coop

Staff member
If you make monsters just moving left-right (rolling animations) and going reverse on edge object collision?
And for the monsters that stay on the plateform, use a « monster block » on each extremity (http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=592&p=3652#p3652)

Top Bottom