Labyrinth of Yggdrasil

User avatar
del inf3rno
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:58 am
Location: California

Labyrinth of Yggdrasil

Post by del inf3rno » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Hello fellow nerds! I'm posting to give myself some motivation to continue making this game. I have very little knowledge with programming and found NES Maker about a month ago. Decided to finally dive into it yesterday and this is what I have so far. The fist tile set I made is HEAVILY influenced by a cool NES game called Micro Mages (soon to be released to the public, congrats to them!). I plan on expanding on this style and making it my own but needed a strong template to reference.

The game takes place in a labyrinth on a journey to become an Einherjar (Holy warrior in Norse Mythology). You have died and now must overcome the challenge laid before you to free your soul from this endless abyss and stake your claim with the gods themselves.

My final plans for the game is to make a 2d hack n slash with some LIGHT RPG elements (waiting on that RPG module). Exploration will be handled like a Castlevania/Metroid game. Systemic exploration, meaning to progress to certain areas you need the appropriate skill.

Mechanics I want to implement:
Double Jump
Wall Jump
4 directional melee
4 directional projectile
Push mechanics (enemy and objects)
LIGHT RPG progression - More health, stronger attack - stronger defense etc.


GAMEPLAY

DEMO_111918 DOWNLOAD

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Last edited by del inf3rno on Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:08 am, edited 7 times in total.
Check out my WIP project Labyrinth of Yggdrasil
User avatar
dale_coop
Posts: 3945
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:05 am
Location: France

Re: Labyrinth of Yggdrasil

Post by dale_coop » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:20 pm

Looks fantastic! And sounds promising.
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
User avatar
del inf3rno
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:58 am
Location: California

Re: Labyrinth of Yggdrasil

Post by del inf3rno » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:27 pm

quick demo of my character walking in the environment, I want to tweak the jumping and overall movement to be a little slower to give it a larger scale and to make the platforming solid. But this is what I was able to make yesterday.


https://youtu.be/EcuxDdSThRI
Last edited by del inf3rno on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my WIP project Labyrinth of Yggdrasil
User avatar
del inf3rno
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:58 am
Location: California

Re: Labyrinth of Yggdrasil

Post by del inf3rno » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:27 pm

dale_coop wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:20 pm
Looks fantastic! And sounds promising.
Thank you! Lets hope so
Check out my WIP project Labyrinth of Yggdrasil
User avatar
Dirk
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:30 am

Re: Labyrinth of Yggdrasil

Post by Dirk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Looks very cool. I think having such a tiny player is quite charming.
I'm a backer of Micro Mages and find it inspiring too.
The Norse mythology is a great topic and I'm curious hire your game will develope over time and hope you keep us updated :-)
-----
Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so mistakes are bound to happen.
User avatar
del inf3rno
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:58 am
Location: California

Re: Labyrinth of Yggdrasil

Post by del inf3rno » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:03 pm

Heres my first demo. VERY basic, I haven't really implemented anything except move and jump. Weird thing happens when the character moves off an edge and when holding right direction the animation for the walk stops. It will start again only if I stop and then move right again. Doesn't have that issue when walking left. Anyway, I made a small easter egg let's see if you guys can find it!

DEMO DOWNLOAD
Last edited by del inf3rno on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my WIP project Labyrinth of Yggdrasil
User avatar
Redherring32
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:48 pm
Location: Usa

Re: Labyrinth of Yggdrasil

Post by Redherring32 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:13 pm

I absolutely love Norse mythology, I can't wait to see where you go with this game!
My current WIP game: Shadow: An Adventure In Monochrome, you can also find me over at the Community Discord.
User avatar
dale_coop
Posts: 3945
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:05 am
Location: France

Re: Labyrinth of Yggdrasil

Post by dale_coop » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:25 pm

del inf3rno wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:03 pm
Heres my first demo. VERY basic, I haven't really implemented anything except move and jump. Weird thing happens when the character moves off an edge and when holding right direction the animation for the walk stops. It will start again only if I stop and then move right again. Doesn't have that issue when walking left. Anyway, I made a small easter egg let's see if you guys can find it!

DEMO DOWNLOAD

Oh boy! Thank you del inf3rno for sharing... I will digg’in your Norse world tonight<3
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
User avatar
dale_coop
Posts: 3945
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:05 am
Location: France

Re: Labyrinth of Yggdrasil

Post by dale_coop » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:47 pm

Great graphics, the player is a little too slow for me (...but it's a personal taste). It's a very good start, promising!
I will follow your WIP and will enjoy playing & exploring your first level when finished <3
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
User avatar
del inf3rno
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:58 am
Location: California

Re: Labyrinth of Yggdrasil

Post by del inf3rno » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:39 pm

dale_coop wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:47 pm
Great graphics, the player is a little too slow for me (...but it's a personal taste). It's a very good start, promising!
I will follow your WIP and will enjoy playing & exploring your first level when finished <3
Thank you very much! The slow walk is a design decision for combat and exploration, hard to see now but think Castlevania pace. Plus did you try holding B to run?
Redherring32 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:13 pm
I absolutely love Norse mythology, I can't wait to see where you go with this game!
Yes sir, great subject to base plenty of games on. Look at Valkyrie Profile! Loosely based but still some foundation.
Dirk wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:47 pm
Looks very cool. I think having such a tiny player is quite charming.
I'm a backer of Micro Mages and find it inspiring too.
The Norse mythology is a great topic and I'm curious hire your game will develope over time and hope you keep us updated :-)
Thank you, I hope to keep updating because that would mean I'm making progress! ;)
Check out my WIP project Labyrinth of Yggdrasil
Post Reply