survival horror demo

stevenshepherd

I'm not a huge fan of survival horror games, but thought it would work well with the current limits of the beta. Here's what I got so far, which isn't much. Have some ideas for different rooms. Not sure how big this will be but we'll see where it goes :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTuY62GzB8g&

Mihoshi20

LOL! That is the best thing in a horror game since the tempura shrimp in Monster Party! This makes me more excited to play this game now and see what other enemies/things reanimated will be in the game!

dale_coop

Staff member
Wow, so great! Can't wait to see how the main character will fight back or how will push the win button!

stevenshepherd

thanks! I am not sure if I will implement any attacks and may just leave it passive, even though we can now in the updated beta. I would like to do something like opening curtains changes tiles (let light in the room) which then kills enemies, but not sure if or how that could work at this point.

TurtleRescueNES

Nice job on the art style! You definitely have a great look and feel there. Kinda like Maniac Mansion, but more realistic and moody.

stevenshepherd

thanks! Yea I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted the player sprite to look like, but once it was done I saw the Maniac Mansion similarity :)

CutterCross

The survival horror asthetic is awesome! Although for a survival horror game, you'd probable want to introduce the monsters a bit later. Things should seem unnervingly calm at the start, and then build up the monsters presence to increase the tension. But that's just my two cents. (I know the beta is a bit limiting at the moment.)

stevenshepherd

For sure! I'll probably shuffle things around eventually. Right now I just wanted to get some practice with the different functions of the program. In the end I am not sure how much of a game I will make out of this. Might just be practice for me.

dale_coop

Staff member
You right, it's a good practice. Play around with the tools, get used to it.
And try some some designs, ideas, making yours assets.
May be a prototype of a future big game!

Mihoshi20

Actually, a survival horror Maniac Mansion is a good idea. I had an idea similar to that which was a mobile style jump scare type game similar to the lady and the tiger game where you wander through this house escape the room style. All the door would be randomized and you're being pursued by a ghost and every time you pick the wrong door the ghost gets closer, starting to talk to you at first saying how they can sense you in their house, and eventually you'd start seeing quick glimpses of the ghost as you turn to open a side door. The final result being a full screen jump scare of the ghost when you've chosen too many wrong doors.

Looks good, I like the idea of opening curtains or finding lights(candles?) to kill or drive enemies away. Video reminded me of an Evil Dead possessed cabin and cellar.

dale_coop

Staff member
Always love watching that walking chicken! Great job, very promising.
And the black screen/scene with the statue it's a very good idea.

Top Bottom