Leon: Tactical Asshole Cat

Craigery

Post by Craigery » Wed May 02, 2018 3:32 am

Story: Leon is a member of an elite cat squad whose very existence is Top Secret. Instructed by Admiral Kiki and technical expert Nina Katz, Leon must complete a variety of missions to keep the world balanced for all cats.

Concept: Stealth based game where you try and break everything in a location without alerting the humans. Pictures frames, books, anything on a desk or counter. There will be humans, dogs and other hazards that can hurt you. In general it is a stealth game so I am toying with a concept of having the level end if a human sees you. In general you want to avoid conflict, but knocking things off of counters could temporarily knock out dogs or other hazards. Lots of objects will cast shadows making it easier to hide. I am toying with idea about an "Anxiety Meter" where you have to hold a button down while hiding to make your tail stop wagging, otherwise it will give you away and the meter is small. Also looking at certain powerups to collects like a Decibel Meter to show how much noise you are making, Motion Detector, Visibility Meter to see how hidden you are. Its kind of a riff on Metal Gear starring some of my animal family.

I am still working on getting these into the NES Screen Tool and know I will need to cut things, but I had some fun over the weekend planning and making these.

Stand Idle

Walk

Attack

Jump

Sit Idle

Sit Attack

Sit Hide

Crouch Down

Crouch Idle

Crouch Walk

Crouch Attack

Crouch Hide

Damage

Death - Just kind of threw this one together. If there is space left I will do something more interesting.

Again, I am sure I will need to cut some stuff, but I want to try and push the animations as much as I can. Comments?
Rob Burrito

Re: Leon: Tactical Asshole Cat

Post by Rob Burrito » Wed May 02, 2018 4:43 am

ha looks fun!
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Wed May 02, 2018 6:26 am

Could be a bet nice game, sound promising, I love cats.
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE
jsherman

Post by jsherman » Wed May 02, 2018 10:48 am

I like this idea. :)
"Turtle Rescue" updates can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=112
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:51 pm

LOL, that name alone makes it worth playing and those sprites are great. I can't help imagine scenes where Leon stops people chasing him by knocking over trash cans, or stops the bad guy by rubbing up against his bottles of potions knocking them off the table and breaking them, foiling his evil schemes. Or playing with dangling computer wires ripping them out of the sockets and shorting them.
Craigery

Post by Craigery » Fri May 04, 2018 8:29 pm

Just sketching some stuff out that can be broken or knocked down, so you can see I have various books, frames, a mug, boombox, juicebox, a glass, and some other stuff. I plan on a can of Cola, bottle, and a vase for sure, but I am open to suggestions for more items. So far planning on a House level and a Veterinarian hospital level for sure.
Craigery

Post by Craigery » Sat May 05, 2018 3:10 am

A mock up of the starting area, a bedroom. I am sure the colors will need to more limited, but I think this is a reasonable representation. of what I am going for. The shadow areas under the bed and beside dresser can be used for cover. The books, frames, vase, and mug could be damaged.

UPDATE: New picture; added a window and wallpaper. Not set on the wallpaper colors, but its simple enough that it can use colors for whatever other rooms I make. Also when I was messing with this I thought that you would know what objects you can break if you pass behind them; could be a good mechanic to look for hidden things too.

Craigery

Post by Craigery » Tue May 08, 2018 5:50 am

Some progress! I've finished my Player Tileset's first pass. Hopefully NESMaker will allow you to move tiles in the Tileset, maybe drag/drop, and it will automagically update the Metasprites? Because I didn't work with the 8x16 mindset and I am sure there are some tiles I could move together, but CHR isn't as friendly in that area as I'd hoped.

I cut down the Jump and Crouch Down considerably. I made small sacrifices from the original on a few animations. The only animation from the first post that got cut is Crouch Attach, which I am not really sure I need. Not an exciting update, but after this I am going to plan for 8x16 a little better if I can. I wish I was in the Beta :(
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:46 am

So far it looks like you're well within constrains. Currently Player and primary assets are restricted to a 16 tiles across by 8 tiles down grid making for a total of 128 tiles for player assets. Essentially half of the grid shown there. You don't have to group the tiles together as that's done when you're defining what tiles makeup the player and it's animation. These 128 tiles are always loaded with each screen so are generally also used for projectile assets and other common sprites and not just the player, so you may want to keep this in mind. The HUD however is a different tileset so you don't have to worry about that.

As for hiding behind objects. It's not entirely required to make space for that in the tileset for the player as the NES is capable of placing sprites in front of or behind background objects, though the current engine doesn't support that feature yet so keep that in mind also for the time being.
Craigery

Post by Craigery » Tue May 15, 2018 4:32 am

Mihoshi20 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:46 am
So far it looks like you're well within constrains. Currently Player and primary assets are restricted to a 16 tiles across by 8 tiles down grid making for a total of 128 tiles for player assets. Essentially half of the grid shown there. You don't have to group the tiles together as that's done when you're defining what tiles makeup the player and it's animation. These 128 tiles are always loaded with each screen so are generally also used for projectile assets and other common sprites and not just the player, so you may want to keep this in mind. The HUD however is a different tileset so you don't have to worry about that.
Forgive me if I am not understanding this correctly:
128 tiles for the Player/Primary assets
128 tiles for Background/HUD

So if I have this correct anything not in the background is part of the Primary assets? Are HUD elements with the Background tiles?
I am re-watching the tutorials to find some of these answers too.

Also, because I have thing for gumball machines...