Parallel Worlds

CutterCross

I didn't apply for any of the NESmaker Betas but I've been working on art assets and music for a few games I want to make while I'm waiting for the full release in August.

Here's the title screen I made in Shiru's NES screen tool for my RPG Parallel Worlds:

RLMcZjh.png

And the Title Screen music:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1NJJ_7nLpg

Last edited:

Mihoshi20

I like it, brings back fond memories of that famous Link to the Past overhaul mod, or Final Fantasy 9 within me.

CutterCross

Kasumi said:
Nice title screen indeed!
Mihoshi20 said:
I like it, brings back fond memories of that famous Link to the Past overhaul mod, or Final Fantasy 9 within me.
Thank you so much!

It's amazing how much I could cram into the 128x128 pixel to make this. I still have some room for a small "made with NESmaker" graphic and some stars. (Although I suck at making starry skies XD it always looks like a cluttered mess.)

Mihoshi20

Tell me about it, like when I used to make starry skies in mario paint for my nerdy star trek animations. But I did get fairly good with making airbrush nebulas.

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
Tell me about it, like when I used to make starry skies in mario paint for my nerdy star trek animations. But I did get fairly good with making airbrush nebulas.
I know exactly what you mean! Shame I can't use an airbrush tool here XD let alone have room for the graphics space it would take up.

I might try a starry sky again later, but all of my attempts of one have not gone well.

Mihoshi20

Pitty actually that animations aren't possible yet on start screens as you might not even need stars at that point, just a shooting one as an accent.

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
Pitty actually that animations aren't possible yet on start screens as you might not even need stars at that point, just a shooting one as an accent.
I was actually more hoping that I could use the Sun as an animated sprite, which would also get rid of the color artifacting on the R and free up one of my background palletes.

Mihoshi20

I imagine it'll be added eventually as I don't see why animation on the title screen wouldn't be possible. My hope really is that sprite animation and scrolling back drop will be possible and don't see why it won't be.

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
I imagine it'll be added eventually as I don't see why animation on the title screen wouldn't be possible. My hope really is that sprite animation and scrolling back drop will be possible and don't see why it won't be.
I asked Joe Granato about adding sprites to special screens a while ago on YouTube and he said that we would be able to add them, just not right now I guess. As for scrolling backdrops I'm not so sure. I imagine that when scrolling is implemented into NESmaker in general they might add it to special screens as well.

I know parallax scrolling won't be native to NESmaker, but I think I might be able to "fake" some parallax scrolling with my 3 shades of red palette swap idea.

Mihoshi20

I've thought about faking it just with animated tiles in some places to just fill in the gaps for the time being. As the versions go along NESmaker will become more and more capable then in it's beta state so I hold no shortfalls against it as it stands now as it's fairly capable as is and can only get better from here.

CutterCross

So I've been messing around with NESst cramming as much as I can in the limited graphic space and experimenting with color palletes. Here's my results!
(Keep in mind that I don't have access to the beta, so most of this is just guesswork and may need to be retooled in the future!)

nIgtwjL.png
Njgs6iD.png

I used up all of the 16x16 background tiles (some of which are going to be used on different screens, like the bathtub and sink), and I reserved the screen specific tileset for common furniture I can use throughout the whole game (beds, tables, etc.). I used all 4 paths for the floor/rugs and for a gradient on the walls. I left the HUD area blank for now.

I'm probably going to use sprites to make other details, like doors and a lamp. I'm also planning to be able to scroll from one screen to the next.

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
So I've been messing around with NESst cramming as much as I can in the limited graphic space and experimenting with color palletes. Here's my results!
(Keep in mind that I don't have access to the beta, so most of this is just guesswork and may need to be retooled in the future!)

nIgtwjL.png
Njgs6iD.png

I used up all of the 16x16 background tiles (some of which are going to be used on different screens, like the bathtub and sink), and I reserved the screen specific tileset for common furniture I can use throughout the whole game (beds, tables, etc.). I used all 4 paths for the floor/rugs and for a gradient on the walls. I left the HUD area blank for now.

I'm probably going to use sprites to make other details, like doors and a lamp. I'm also planning to be able to scroll from one screen to the next.

I love it, especially the hanging drapes. They look a little bit like waterfalls to me too so they could easily pull double duty as that too if you needed it.

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
I love it, especially the hanging drapes. They look a little bit like waterfalls to me too so they could easily pull double duty as that too if you needed it.
I actually was thinking of reusing the curtain graphics as waterfalls, but all of the outdoor areas are going to be on a different tileset, so I'll have to redraw them anyway. (Unless I put them in the screen specific tileset.)

I've also been working on character sprites!

(From left to right) Player and Main Party Members:
OZTpCqJ.png
6O3HyOv.png
0Qg7u2R.png

Secondary Party Members:
6NVlOko.png
Vkh4Er0.png

NPC's:
jVeJsUD.png
A0UylBr.png
0lKRsCw.png

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
Mihoshi20 said:
I actually was thinking of reusing the curtain graphics as waterfalls, but all of the outdoor areas are going to be on a different tileset, so I'll have to redraw them anyway. (Unless I put them in the screen specific tileset.)

I've also been working on character sprites!

(From left to right) Player and Main Party Members:
OZTpCqJ.png
6O3HyOv.png
0Qg7u2R.png

Secondary Party Members:
6NVlOko.png
Vkh4Er0.png

NPC's:
jVeJsUD.png
A0UylBr.png
0lKRsCw.png

Looking wicked cool already.