Mermay's Den

Mihoshi20

Mermay's Den

Post by Mihoshi20 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:56 am

Just a simple little Mermaid adventure game I've been toying with the concept of where you fight or avoid sharks and seek out the treasures that open the pathway forward.
MermaysDen_05062018.png
MermaysDen_05062018.png (16.77 KiB) Viewed 680 times
JakeSpencer

Re: Mermay's Den

Post by JakeSpencer » Mon May 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Nice! I like the shadowy illumination style of the scenery. It's also a great place to add real/imaginary elements of underwater luminescence like deep-sea jellyfish and sturgeon, etc. Keep up the good work.
Check out my YouTube channel: "Jake's Amateur Gaymers"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAXuTZ ... fyw_kzC4Zw
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:36 pm

JakeSpencer wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:58 pm
Nice! I like the shadowy illumination style of the scenery. It's also a great place to add real/imaginary elements of underwater luminescence like deep-sea jellyfish and sturgeon, etc. Keep up the good work.
Ooo, Jellyfish. I didn't even think of that and how could I not as they're one of my upmost fav aquatic creatures. Good call on that one. But yeah, trying to go for a minimalist approach with this one and really liked how the mansion part on the title screen to the glass ring went. I'm doing a bit of a coloring thing inspired by a lot atari 2600 games specifically haunted house where the background color changed depending on what floor you're on. With this it starts out ark in the deep depths and gets lighter as you move up towards the surface.
TheNew8bitHeroes

Post by TheNew8bitHeroes » Mon May 07, 2018 2:55 pm

Great stuff....can't wait to see some gameplay. :-)

If this all takes place *under water*, even though it's really a side-perspective game, I'd cleverly use the top down engine (that people are using now) and slow the acceleration way down (and only show left and right animations, or at least no up and down animations...but that way you have "swimming movement" in each direction and it feels sorta flowy.
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:32 pm

TheNew8bitHeroes wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:55 pm
Great stuff....can't wait to see some gameplay. :-)

If this all takes place *under water*, even though it's really a side-perspective game, I'd cleverly use the top down engine (that people are using now) and slow the acceleration way down (and only show left and right animations, or at least no up and down animations...but that way you have "swimming movement" in each direction and it feels sorta flowy.
Yips, that's the plan. To have it only take place entirely underwater using only facing right and left animations but still up and down motions within the current top down 'adventure' engine. The icey style acceleration gives it a floaty feel though I don't plan to go overboard with it as player control is key as some precision movement between baddies will be tricky in spots.
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Just a small update. Decided to make some quick gameplay footage now that the demo is finished and also gave me a good chance to make good use of my idle since 2011 youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNG3edAgG0A

No sound or music yet so don't worry if you don't hear anything.
Tengen Games North

Post by Tengen Games North » Tue May 08, 2018 5:44 pm

That looks great. You are probably planning more stuff like more animation to Mermany? Different colour/style of BG for levels/areas? And I don't know how it'd be done but if a couple small bubbles coming from Mermany randomly as they swim and float up a bit before disappearing would maybe look good.
With some good music and sfx I'm looking forward to playing.
I'm thinking cover art but Creature from the Black Lagoon is coming to mind.... Den.... Is the Den the whole area of the game, a place in the game, a goal to reach, or just a name?
Almost as much fun seeing other people's creations as making my own. :D
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:38 pm

Tengen Games North wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:44 pm
That looks great. You are probably planning more stuff like more animation to Mermany? Different colour/style of BG for levels/areas? And I don't know how it'd be done but if a couple small bubbles coming from Mermany randomly as they swim and float up a bit before disappearing would maybe look good.
With some good music and sfx I'm looking forward to playing.
I'm thinking cover art but Creature from the Black Lagoon is coming to mind.... Den.... Is the Den the whole area of the game, a place in the game, a goal to reach, or just a name?
Almost as much fun seeing other people's creations as making my own. :D
Yeah, more refined animations and probably a complete design to the mermaid herself is planned. The idea is that you start off in a dark cavern that gets lighter as you move up towards the surface. As for the name, it's a play on the word Mermaiden and that you're traveling through caverns. It's going to be fun to tweak and evolve it over time with future NESMaker versions, polishing it up and adding features as they comes along. :D
TheNew8bitHeroes

Post by TheNew8bitHeroes » Wed May 09, 2018 3:13 am

This is stellar - i’d refine the movemenr code too (don’t worry, there will be all sorts of codes for you to pull in and edit) to prevent the sudden stop and really make it feel swimmy! Of course, it HAS to get as hard as the TMNT dam at some point, right? Haha
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:02 am

TheNew8bitHeroes wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:13 am
This is stellar - i’d refine the movemenr code too (don’t worry, there will be all sorts of codes for you to pull in and edit) to prevent the sudden stop and really make it feel swimmy! Of course, it HAS to get as hard as the TMNT dam at some point, right? Haha
LOL, timers....bombs... electric seaweed... beeping life meters!!!!!!! Ahhh, the trauma has returned!!!!!!!!!!!! But man that death jingle and level music was really cool. Konami should just bring back Ultra Games, people would love them again.