The Tower of Turmoil

CutterCross

The Tower of Turmoil

Post by CutterCross » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:11 pm

So I've been preparing more stuff for NESmaker with NESst. I decided my first real project in NESmaker will be remaking my first PC game "The Legend of Takemaru", though I'll be renaming it to "The Tower of Turmoil" as I think that's a better name for it.

I've just finished up some sprites for the player character Takemaru. I'm going for a much different style than the original game. (Please excuse the white border that's around some of the pictures, I couldn't get a perfect crop.)

Standing/Attacking: Image Jumping/Jump Attacking: Image Running: Image
Running + Attacking: Image Wall-Sliding/Attacking: Image Taking Damage/Death: Image
Sword Slash (Melee Object): Image

I managed to use more than 3 colors per metasprite by using an additional layered sprite for the face, making a total of 6 colors for the character. The sword slash is going to be placed in front of every "Attacking" frame of animation.

If you want to check out the original game, click here! https://cuttercross.itch.io/the-legend-of-takemaru
Mihoshi20

Re: The Tower of Turmoil

Post by Mihoshi20 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:45 am

Looking good so far. Love the sprite detail and animations.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Mihoshi20 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:45 am
Looking good so far. Love the sprite detail and animations.
Thanks! I'm really proud of these!
The Tower of Turmoil: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=227
Gazimaluke

Post by Gazimaluke » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:52 pm

That looks really good. How is they layered face sprite done?
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:14 am

Gazimaluke wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:52 pm
That looks really good. How is they layered face sprite done?
Here's what the layered sprite looks like detached from the body. It's just placed over the body in a way that looks seamless. Now, I don't exactly know how I can actually pull this off in NESmaker, but I'll definitely experiment with this further when the platformer module is released.
Gazimaluke

Post by Gazimaluke » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:18 pm

Yes I knew how it is done in theory. Like in Mega Man. Looks great.
stevenshepherd

Post by stevenshepherd » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:29 pm

nice!
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:27 am

I'm rather excited about this game as I really enjoyed the PC version and have been eager to see it fleshed out into more of an action playformer in the vein of megaman or ninja gaiden, only not nearly as punishingly brutal.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Mihoshi20 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:27 am
I'm rather excited about this game as I really enjoyed the PC version and have been eager to see it fleshed out into more of an action playformer in the vein of megaman or ninja gaiden, only not nearly as punishingly brutal.
Glad to hear you're excited! And I'm happy to hear you liked the original too! Although I can agree it wasn't very well designed, mostly because of my inexperience as a programmer back then. A lot of things didn't work as originally intended.

A more action platformer like Ninja Gaiden/Megaman is definitely what I'm working towards.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:20 pm

Here's the first iteration of The Tower of Turmoil! It's not much, but it's a start!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u6mlxR ... e=youtu.be

I've still haven't been able to fix that music bug where one of the Pulse channels drops out when advancing to another screen with the same music, so I stop on the first screen for a while so you can hear what the song's SUPPOSED to sound like.
Image Image Image

I haven't been able to add in all the features I wanted yet. You can't attack enemies, the HUD's unfinished, and I haven't been able to implement a layered sprite for the player's face yet, so his head is transparent for now.

I'd appreciate any feedback or any tips and tricks on coding this stuff!