The Tower of Turmoil

drexegar

Re: The Tower of Turmoil

Post by drexegar » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:57 pm

CutterCross wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:12 pm
Probably not going to be able to implement this anytime soon, but I thought I'd share it with those who are interested.

I made a special Pause Screen in NESst and imported it into the special screen editor. (Right now it's set as the Win Screen as there's no other special screens we can use yet.)

I'm honestly shocked at how little color clash there is for a character with so many colors.

I'm also planning to have a pointer sprite showing what floor the player's on, showing how much progress they made. It'll be cool to finally implement this when future versions of NESmaker can support dedicated Pause/Menu screens (like in Mystic Searches).
This is very awesome, its almost looks more a tower map screen, if you make a custom variable, you can use this win screen at the end of every level and also use the write sprite to put a blip on the map while using the same variable to control that and then teleport the player to the beginning of the corresponding stage!
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:27 pm

chronosv2 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:13 pm
This is looking absolutely amazing. I look forward to seeing what more you create!
timkilgore wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:19 am
I love the music in this so much!
drexegar wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:54 pm
Oh man awesome graphics here,
Thank you all!

drexegar wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:54 pm
hey about the title screen I would recommend removing the dark grey shade color out of the lighter bricks that make the letters, that will make the contrast and the perspective look more dynamic than it is right now.
Original: Image
Alternate: Image

I see where you're coming from, but personally I like the original better.
The Tower of Turmoil: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=227
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:32 pm

drexegar wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:57 pm
This is very awesome, its almost looks more a tower map screen, if you make a custom variable, you can use this win screen at the end of every level and also use the write sprite to put a blip on the map while using the same variable to control that and then teleport the player to the beginning of the corresponding stage!
It's kinda like a tower map screen! But each stage/floor wouldn't be long enough to require stopping the action at the end of every floor to show that off. The action is supposed to flow between floors, so I had that idea to show the map on a pause screen, along with some nice graphics.

A tower map like your example isn't a bad idea at all! But it wouldn't fit too well for my game specifically.
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:54 pm

CutterCross wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:12 pm
Probably not going to be able to implement this anytime soon, but I thought I'd share it with those who are interested.

I made a special Pause Screen in NESst and imported it into the special screen editor. (Right now it's set as the Win Screen as there's no other special screens we can use yet.)

I'm honestly shocked at how little color clash there is for a character with so many colors.

I'm also planning to have a pointer sprite showing what floor the player's on, showing how much progress they made. It'll be cool to finally implement this when future versions of NESmaker can support dedicated Pause/Menu screens (like in Mystic Searches).
That is looking amazingly cool and fantastic.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:01 am

Mihoshi20 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:54 pm
Thank you! I'm amazed at how well it turned out!
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:06 am

CutterCross wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:01 am
Mihoshi20 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:54 pm
Thank you! I'm amazed at how well it turned out!
You're a pretty amazing artist along with composer so you hit the two big ones out of the park when it comes to NES development.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:11 am

Mihoshi20 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:06 am
You're a pretty amazing artist along with composer so you hit the two big ones out of the park when it comes to NES development.
That truly means a lot to me. Thank you!

Now if only I was an amazing coder haha, then everything would be perfect! xD

Oh, and I might as well show off the original artwork I drew before I made the NES artwork, for those who are interested:

Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:35 am

CutterCross wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:11 am
Mihoshi20 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:06 am
That truly means a lot to me. Thank you!

Now if only I was an amazing coder haha, then everything would be perfect! xD

Oh, and I might as well show off the original artwork I drew before I made the NES artwork, for those who are interested:

I like it a lot. It translated really well, and coding is something you develop and get better at over time the more you do it but one reason why I picked up NESMaker is because I learn better through reverse engineering. Studying what already exists, how it works, playing with it, and then making my own code from what I've learned. NESMaker was a great opportunity as I'd been dabbling in NES development before I'd heard about NESMaker and even made a terrible and buggy game. With NESMaker and what I've learned from it is like going from impulse power to warp speed.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:45 am

Mihoshi20 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:35 am
I like it a lot. It translated really well, and coding is something you develop and get better at over time the more you do it but one reason why I picked up NESMaker is because I learn better through reverse engineering. Studying what already exists, how it works, playing with it, and then making my own code from what I've learned. NESMaker was a great opportunity as I'd been dabbling in NES development before I'd heard about NESMaker and even made a terrible and buggy game. With NESMaker and what I've learned from it is like going from impulse power to warp speed.
NESmaker is my introduction to 6502 ASM, and I can definitely agree that I've learned more from studying others' code and the module code than if I started from scratch. I'm still an amatur at coding, but it's all a learning process for me and for many others.

Also thanks for liking the original concept art. Maybe I should share more when I start showing off more NES assets.
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:42 am

CutterCross wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:45 am
Maybe I should share more when I start showing off more NES assets.
I think that's a great idea! I love seeing the transitions from concept art to the final implementation.

And as others have already said: awesome graphics!
Last edited by Dirk on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.