The Tower of Turmoil

drexegar

Re: The Tower of Turmoil

Post by drexegar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 am

CutterCross wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:54 pm

I see where you're coming from, but personally I like the original better.
Wow thats awesome of you showing me the results! Yeah making design choices can be crazy! I'm making giant sprites for cut scene graphics right now and I realized I need to remove lots of detail and shading if I want to save space and fit in a lot of characters and scenes! Keep up the good work!
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:49 am

Dirk wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:42 am
I thinks that's a great idea! I love seeing the transitions from concept art to the final implementation.

And as others have already said: awesome graphics!
Alright, I'll keep that in mind! And thanks again!
drexegar wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 am
Wow thats awesome of you showing me the results! Yeah making design choices can be crazy! I'm making giant sprites for cut scene graphics right now and I realized I need to remove lots of detail and shading if I want to save space and fit in a lot of characters and scenes! Keep up the good work!
Designing for the NES is a monumental challenge to make things look good! But that's also part of the fun! It's all about compromise and careful planning. I've also been working on SOME cutscene stuff, but most of that's on the backburner for now as we're all still learning the basics of NESmaker and 6502 ASM in general. It's fun to plan this stuff out, but it's also important to know that it'll be awhile before we can REALLY put that stuff to good use.
The Tower of Turmoil: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=227
drexegar

Post by drexegar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:26 pm

CutterCross wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:49 am
Dirk wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:42 am
I thinks that's a great idea! I love seeing the transitions from concept art to the final implementation.

And as others have already said: awesome graphics!
Alright, I'll keep that in mind! And thanks again!
drexegar wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 am
Designing for the NES is a monumental challenge to make things look good! But that's also part of the fun! It's all about compromise and careful planning. I've also been working on SOME cutscene stuff, but most of that's on the backburner for now as we're all still learning the basics of NESmaker and 6502 ASM in general. It's fun to plan this stuff out, but it's also important to know that it'll be awhile before we can REALLY put that stuff to good use.
About that. I plan on using no coding except just variable manipulation. Make a wide screen with a background (I recommend no bigger taller than 64 pixel (Most NES widscreen cutscene which also the same height of you graphic banks), and one character can be the background while the other is a sprite monster. With my variable and inputs I can force the animation of the character to change to invisible(and also good way to include another character in your game or if you character going to drive a vehicle etc.) and block the character moving or disable the controls (I have a disable code but blocking the character saves coding space) Open up the text box window (Mine is place in the bottom in the same spot as ninja gaiden) and let it rip! Once the character is done talking, you can then teleport the character to the next screen.

But with the new update coming, we could just teleport the character to another screen at the end of its own animation!

This is not wish thinking its screen/gameplay manipulation, there will never be enough room to waste your time coding cutscenes, when you can just make a level as a cutscene!
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:05 am

Here's the second iteration of The Tower of Turmoil!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scb-rsNmMHI&t=10s

The music bug still hasn't been fixed, but I heard from Joe that they're working on that issue for the 4.1.0 release.

Image Image Image Image

I've made quite a lot of changes with this build. First off, you can FINALLY attack enemies! I've even added some new SFX and graphical effects after enemies are killed.

There's new Monster Locks for each room with enemies, so you have to kill all the enemies to progress to the next room.

I've added a new Fireball hazard, although it shoots semi-randomly and is hard to predict. May need some help fixing that.

I've added new animated controller indicators to act like a small tutorial, being as least intrusive as possible.

I've modified a few scripts to make sure the player enters his Falling animation after running off a ledge.

Finally, I set up a custom Down-Thrust attack animation (like from Shovel Knight and DuckTales), but I haven't been able to get the actual attack to work.

Let me know what you think and if you have any tips for me!
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:59 am

This update looks great! Very nice additions!
Can't wait to play with it.
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE
Convoy_Avenger

Post by Convoy_Avenger » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:54 am

It's coming along nicely. This is something I would play.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:40 am

dale_coop wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:59 am
This update looks great! Very nice additions!
Can't wait to play with it.
Convoy_Avenger wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:54 am
It's coming along nicely. This is something I would play.
Thanks guys!
jsherman

Post by jsherman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:57 am

Great looking game, and the tutorials are very clever!
"Turtle Rescue" updates can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=112
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:02 am

jsherman wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:57 am
Great looking game, and the tutorials are very clever!
Thanks man! Yeah, I didn't want to have to stop the game to throw up a bunch of text to explain things. It's really unnecesary for this sort of game, and I didn't want to bog the pace down. I had a couple extra tiles in my tileset, so I came up with this!
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:14 am

So... I'm kinda stupid for not noticing this earlier.

I was about to make a post in the Suggestions tab about getting Screen Specific tiles working since I couldn't seem to use them. Then as I was about to finish that post, I found out I could switch from Main tiles to Screen Specific tiles by clicking the Main tiles button in the Assets interface.

*facepalm

Well, time to work on a new feature! haha