Lobster Ladd

derekdraws

Not sure if this should go in Art or WIP, but I'm putting it here.

I'm planning on making this game with the shooter module, you play as a young boy in a super scuba suit named Lobster Ladd, who dives deep into the depths of the ocean in search of monsters for his Dad to serve up at his sushi shop.

I'm planning to add various RPG elements to the gameplay, like River City Ransom did for brawlers. I'm also trying to stay simple in scope so I can actually have a finished product to show sooner, rather than later. Being a family man with a demanding job(s) can take its toll on my ability to take on extra projects!

derekdraws

LobsterLadd_Swim.gif
Here is the basic swim and shoot animation that will be used for 90% of the gameplay. Maybe different hand cannon shapes and colors will be placed at the end of his fist for variety and to signify power-ups.
sushi.jpg
Instead of coins, the monsters you kill will drop sushi that floats to the surface. Grab it before it goes off screen! You won't be able to purchase upgrades between levels if you don't grab enough sushi bites!
preston.jpg
And if you DON'T grab enough pieces before the float past you off screen, Preston shows up in his mini sub to try and kill you/take the sushi drops that belong to you!

derekdraws

tileset_LobsterLadd.jpg
Here's an example of some of the tile elements that might make up a boss screen. Just playing around with pallets right now...I need to grab a proper program in which to edit tiles and manage them.

It's been super fun learning how to get the most out of your artistic vision while still staying within the restraints of the NES hardware. Hopefully I'll have everything figured out by the time NESMAKER is released.

dale_coop

Staff member
Congrats, it’s a nice looking project. I can’t wait to play the demo. I will follow it.

Bucket Mouse

derekdraws said:
Not sure if this should go in Art or WIP, but I'm putting it here.

I'm planning on making this game with the shooter module

I'm not sure what tier you crowdfunded the game on, but Joe said in the latest update that Beta #1 wouldn't have modules set up yet.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1316851183/nesmaker-make-nes-games-no-coding-required/posts/2130174

kainminter

Everything looks great so far, The BG tiles are especially impressive! With pixel art like this, its going to end up being a really good looking NES game! Can't wait to play it ^^

derekdraws

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words, you guys! I just hope I have some game design sense to go along with the art, as you seem to be responding positively to it.

Also, I wish I had more time to work on this thing! Stupid responsibilities...

FrankenGraphics

derekdraws said:
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words, you guys! I just hope I have some game design sense to go along with the art, as you seem to be responding positively to it.
I believe you'll find that skills acquired in animation goes a few miles in GUI and game design too, what with concepts such as guiding motion and all that. :)

Top Bottom