Fifty-Foot Toddler

tornotlukin

I had an idea of a very (i hope) simple game. Fifty-Foot Toddler.
Just doing some animation tests, a 6 frame walk, I may need to cut it to 4, with a stand pose. This is a big baby, 4x8 sprites big. Heck, I may not be able to pull it off, but I'll try.

toddler-base.gif

WolfMerrik

Whatever happens of this, I approve 100%!
A game with insanely large sprites of a giant baby.... what could go wrong?

Mihoshi20

This game'll be fun. Always wanted to play as the big baby from zombies ate my neighbors in a zombie nation/rampage/godzilla type game.

Bucket Mouse

Orgia Mode said:
I don't think It will work, if it is 4x8... I think sprite flicker will make it a disaster.

We'll see. The thing about sprite flicker is that for most games it was kind of unavoidable. Super Mario Bros has sprite flicker. The question is how MUCH sprite flicker is going to happen....a little flicker is acceptable, I think.

WolfMerrik

This is true, a huge amount of games made use of sprite flicker to the point where it was pretty well expected in action games.

WolfMerrik

dale_coop said:
Yeah if you make very small enemies (one 8x8 px), it could work ;)

Tha would also make the player even more ridiculously huge in comparison, and ad to the effect! haha, awesome!

tornotlukin

Well this is a perfect opportunity to learn about sprite flicker. I will keep the "enemies" to 8x8 and see where that takes me.

erockbrox

Reminds me of that 50 foot tall baby in Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Also you have to make it dance when it wins the level or something. Remember that 'dancin baby' that everyone loved in the early days of the internet. Yeah, do something like that.

tornotlukin

So my test, it could of gone better. Looks like 8 tiles tall is too much for NESMaker, as the player gets all distorted. I changed it to 7 tiles and at least the art is sort of together. It seems like its choking on the size of the player? it is also not animating correctly, walking animations when idle, and idle animations while walking. I will review the video again to see if I missed something.

I have also noticed that NESMaker was not saving my player layouts, I would go from one animation to another and it would get all distorted when I return and have to redraw the player animation again and again.
game3.gif

Orgia Mode

Try making all of your animations the same number of frames. I think this will fix the graphics breaking above.
As for having to redraw them, thats bad! Do you have more info? Are you certain that youre pressing save each time? :(

tornotlukin

I have been in graphic design since 1999, save and save as is second nature. I will start again, i must of missed something. Its ok i will rebuild it better.
Orgia Mode said:
Try making all of your animations the same number of frames. I think this will fix the graphics breaking above.
As for having to redraw them, thats bad! Do you have more info? Are you certain that youre pressing save each time? :(

Mihoshi20

tornotlukin said:
I have been in graphic design since 1999, save and save as is second nature. I will start again, i must of missed something. Its ok i will rebuild it better.
Orgia Mode said:

I was having this same issue with the player object and the screen layouts where it would just drop my changed.

Top Bottom