Space Phoenix

Lother

Space Phoenix

Post by Lother » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:16 am

Here's my personnal project I had in mind for quite some time.

Space Pheonix will be a shoot'em up game where you have exactly 1 hour and 40 minutes to destroy an interstellar weapon before it destroys Earth.

The main thing about this game will be how each level will be organized in two phases:

>The first one is a farming phase where you'll power up your character. It will end when the player decides.

>In the second phase you fight the boss of the current level.

Trying to do a sort of bullet hell game on the NES will be a interesting challenge.
Last edited by Lother on Wed May 16, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lother

Re: Space Phoenix

Post by Lother » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:30 am

Here's a few test screens:

Last edited by Lother on Wed May 16, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
JakeSpencer

Post by JakeSpencer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:00 am

I like it! Looking forward to trying out a beta. Keep up the good work.
Check out my YouTube channel: "Jake's Amateur Gaymers"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAXuTZ ... fyw_kzC4Zw
Lother

Post by Lother » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Here's an early test for the backgrounds:

The next one is the cloudy background but with a few modifications so it looks like a forest.

Here's a few screens from the How to play menu (some things are still WIP so feedback and tips are welcome):

Last edited by Lother on Wed May 16, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
derekdraws

Post by derekdraws » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:27 pm

This is looking great so far!
Here's some of my ART & COMICS
EyE6SoLoMoN

Post by EyE6SoLoMoN » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:12 pm

Very nice stuff!
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:34 pm

I just realized you may want to know some things. So in this image:
You have your HUD to the left and right of the screen. Assuming you want scrolling, having the HUD there would usually make it scroll with the level in the middle like this:
Unless the HUD were entirely sprites. But even if it were entirely 8x16 sprites, the bar on the right would be 13 sprites, the time would be 4, the bar on the left would be 22 sprites, and the icon beneath the bar would be 6. That's 45 of the 64 sprites that can be on screen at once just for the HUD. Mega Man's HUD is a bit similar, but is WAY smaller, so it uses only seven 8x8 sprites. Any part of the HUD that's not sprites would scroll with the level.

Basically you can divide the background into vertical sections that scroll independently fairly easily. (Think Kirby's Adventure's HUD, Super Mario Bros. 3's HUD.) You cannot divide the background into horizontal sections that scroll independently without very careful work. Battletoads sort of does it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPd9TzBFc4

But if those independently scrolling edges weren't a repeating pattern, it wouldn't have really worked and the HUD is not a repeating pattern. The only way I can think of to make something similar work for keeping the HUD static while the NES scrolls would, quite ironically, make it difficult to update the level for scrolling too.

Anyway, all of that assumes you did have scrolling in mind. If you didn't, you're fine. If you did, you either need to make your HUD use way fewer sprites, or be horizontal to use the background.

Edit: I guess it's also possible the How to Play screens have simply magnified the HUD and they'd be smaller in game. But still consider sprite count for it, especially for a bullet hell game.
Lother

Post by Lother » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:48 pm

Indeed Kasumi, I am still doing researches on that aspect.

So here's what I have right now.

The left part will be sprites and for the right part, only the bar (not visible on the image) will be a sprite. Saving a lot of sprites on the process.

I think I will reduce the size of the bottom left square so it does only use four 8x8 sprites instead of 8 and will be included with the sprites of the weapon indicator.
RadJunk
Site Admin

Post by RadJunk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:32 pm

This looks rad!
Lother

Post by Lother » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:07 pm

Now here's an example of a boss screen, which will be fixed. (no scrolling) Saving sprites for more interesting patterns.

For some attacks like big lasers, I've planned to use the background tiles for that.