Patch 3.1.3 and tutorial video on how to implement

jsherman

Re: Patch 3.1.3 and tutorial video on how to implement

Post by jsherman » Sat May 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Thanks for the tips, Joe! I'll look more into it tomorrow morning. Off to spend time with the family. :)
Rob Burrito

Post by Rob Burrito » Sun May 06, 2018 5:53 am

challenge 1: took about 90 min, but as a second attempt coding not so bad haha. biggest issue was figuring out what was causing the compiling error in the code itself. got it though! was curious if there is a way to assign a specific palette to the player projectiles? i have it animated in all directions, and created in it's own palette, but seem to have an issue with the projectiles all taking on the hero palette. monster ones seem to be fine, all in the same pallete made for the deathly explosion animation though. guessing only two palettes can be loaded for the whole game objects (one of them being the hero?) any help on object/projectile palette assignment would be appreciated! also noted as a 2x2 tile projectile if you have it set to bounce off the edge of the screen (reverse direction on edge detection), there's some bounding box sizes that will catch em to get stuck on the edge.
jsherman

Post by jsherman » Sun May 06, 2018 12:37 pm

I do believe I am in a state where Challenges 1, 2 and 3 are fully accomplished!

https://youtu.be/ZTEy4lHsDTI

In the video, our hero, Toby the turtle, has seashells as his normal weapon. He can easily dispose of some mean crabbies, but when he confronts a nasty raccoon, he finds that his seashells are not enough and is defeated by the raccoon's rotten fruit. Toby returns, this time with a backup energy bazooka weapon that easily eliminates the raccoon's weak points.

Joe, you were right about my issue with cloning the script. Your advice worked.

I gave up on trying to get the "Shoot at Player" script to work in this case. When I switched to "Shoot Straight", everything worked just fine. The only difference is the way the scripts call the weapon object is the state, and I can't reason why that would make a difference with the speed of the overall object. *shrug*

Toby's energy bazooka is using the "Ignore all Object Collisions" setting to get around the fact that his normal weapon cannot breach the solid tile type.

Rob, from what I've seen, you can either use the player palette, or its alternate palette. I haven't seen any other palette available.
TheNew8bitHeroes

Post by TheNew8bitHeroes » Sun May 06, 2018 2:17 pm

@Jsherman...EXCELLENT! Great to see this! We have to find a way for you to get better high quality renders of your videos. Might I suggest a screen cap software to capture the window rather than using the output AVI? Smaller file sizes too, probably. Definitely something to show off here, and clever using "ignore All Object Collisions"! Though this might go away in future versions (selecting no type may cause this, and that bit may be used for something else...just something to note!)

It's amazing to see this early progress.

@Rob - you have four sub palettes per screen, with three (plus transparent) colors in each. NESmaker breaks it down like this by default:

Player/ Game Objects ---- Monster Palettes
0-1-2-3 || 4-5-6-7 ---- 8-9-a-b || c-d-e-f

Expressed in the update, I talk a little bit how the Player/Game Object palettes are set in the GameObject0 object (by default, the one called PLAYER). You see to sub pals there. Whatever you set them to will be what is loaded into the player/game objects pal. If, when creating your projectile, you use the first subpalette, it will use whatever is in the first subpalette of the player game object. If you use the second subpalette, it will use whatever is in the second subpalette of the player game object. What you see when you're actually editing the object is just a reference for you. The player game object is what's determining what gets loaded in there.

Similarly, the MONSTERS don't control the monster palettes loaded to the screen...all the editor does is determine whether it uses monster palette 1 or monster palette 2, and those palettes are there for reference. The SCREEN INFO determines what values those sub palettes actually load.
Rob Burrito

Post by Rob Burrito » Sun May 06, 2018 5:20 pm

on palattes i think i'm starting to get it, the four sub palettes (split between monsters and player/object) are in addition to the four screen palettes, making 8 total per screen? rewatched the 3.1.3 tutorial update and yes you mention the two palletes for all objects are set in object 0, and how to select between the two @ 17:08 - 18:08 for reference if anyone else is confused haha. for some reason thought there were more object palettes available. reminds me of the original legend of zelda, think i was confused as in there links fire, bombs and arrows were always loaded too with varied palettes compared to the player.

on the difference between shoot at player and shoot straight, when using the same game object for both, are they different action steps? i'm hitting a similar thing where the speed has a slight range where it will work for both, but they're not the same speed. when the speed was too high one was freezing the game when the monster shot at me, or the object moving so slow i thought it was stationary. i was able to get them both to work as a single object around 100 on the object/details/max speed value. i tried ignoring physics on step 0 and step 1, but they were still not balanced between shoot straight and shoot at player. adding ignore physics to all action steps of the monster projectile object made the shoot straight command always shot down left, while shoot at player remained locked on the player.

on to challenge 3
TheNew8bitHeroes

Post by TheNew8bitHeroes » Sun May 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Yes - if you shoot straight with ignore physics checked, it will always shoot down left (it’s not getting values via trig to shoot towards). Shoot straight, you WANT the physics. Thats what makes it move.
Rob Burrito

Post by Rob Burrito » Sun May 06, 2018 11:20 pm

challenge 3 complete, joe hope you dont mind, for tutorial purposes i was originally making the boss you spouting hex values at the player haha, wasn't sure how to reassign a specific projectile to the different monsters yet.

video capture OBS/youtube seems like it will work after a bit of account setting up. in the meantime tinytake seems to be able to post up to 5 minutes for free and was setup in 5 min. guessing the forum wont host videos haha, can at least set a dropbox link i guess to save em there. so far easiest setup for video. any other video cap and posting methods let me know!

https://tinytake.s3.amazonaws.com/pulse ... -09-24.mp4
TheNew8bitHeroes

Post by TheNew8bitHeroes » Mon May 07, 2018 1:06 am

Dude, YES! That's amazing! And amazing working, making the tiles change when you've defeated them, etc. Great job, very cleverly done!

That's the sort of creative thinking it'll take to use this tool to it's full capacity. And I think it's hilarious, doubly so that I appear so much like Charles Manson? Hahah.

Great job. More challenges to come soon, but hopefully this allows you to start challenging yourself a little too! :-)
Rob Burrito

Post by Rob Burrito » Mon May 07, 2018 4:57 am

ha! i think it's the shifty eyes. i was thinking more scooby doo and menacing when drawing em. but manson, sure close enough for a boss. my head was going both the hero and enraged hex spitting boss your own likeness, keeping you from your own finished game. that was put together as monsters placed over the background monster lock tiles (tiles drawn to show missile damage once the monsters disappear), and a blank monster that shoots over the hair tile, stacked mouth/eyes/blank. still not sure how to animate the tiles themselves, but that would be fun for an explosion or throbbing effect. wasn't sure if you meant monster lock or pickups lock object for the boss hit targets, i did monster lock tiles for fun.

having a hard time with challenge 4, copied the projectile scripts to blank AI routines i added and saved, believe i have object and monster address and action steps correct in hex, but can't get the things to spawn in testing. not sure what i'm missing there.
Rob Burrito

Post by Rob Burrito » Mon May 07, 2018 2:26 pm

got challenge 4 to work this morning, think i just did the same thing i was trying last night. sometimes a break is all you need!
pickups.PNG
pickups.PNG (6.02 KiB) Viewed 291 times