NESmaker pi beta (3.14x) and tutorials!

TheNew8bitHeroes

Re: NESmaker pi beta (3.14x) and tutorials!

Post by TheNew8bitHeroes » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Hm - the *facing* issue is almost certainly in your animation. Check your animations, and your animation manager, and make sure that he's facing right when you want him to face right, and facing left when you want to face left. (Literally, in the Left/Right animations for graphics, then in the object info for the directions, pointing to those animations).

As for the double projectile...that's strange. Take a look at the CreateSimpleProj...script. You SHOULD see a CreateObject macro. You should only see it once. That's where this should be happening...and its arguments should be X, Y, (object), (action step). So if it says that object is 1, it should create object 1. If it says object 2, it should create object 2. See if it has more than one CreateObject macro in that script for you. Also, make sure you're using button PRESSED and not button HELD.

Great to see the progress though! :-)
Rob Burrito

Post by Rob Burrito » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:40 pm

doh yeah the left animation was still assigned to right, thanks for the fix there! as soon as stand left was assigned to left it updated in the game object screen and in testing. still getting the other double item creation issue, and in the CreateSimpleProjectile, i haven't edited it, and at line 23 the CreateObject command it's

CreateObject temp1, temp2, #$01, testVar

nothing else, and no mention of #$02 anywhere. not sure if it would help but i'm imagining you can use projectile source to create a gun etc that disappears, maybe it was a functionality you meant to turn on/off on another called area of code? projectile source has no info attached to it, i only changed the sprite to confirm which object it was creating.
TheNew8bitHeroes

Post by TheNew8bitHeroes » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Hm - first, try changing testVar to #$00. It should ALREADY be #$00, but...just in case.

You're right about the point of projSource, but....that's an old method that shouldn't even factor in here at all. Dumb as it may sound, make sure that your object is not, in its actions, set to *shoot* or something weird like that (like the projectile, shooting a 'monster' projectile?). Monsters create #$02 currently, I believe. Did you try to have any monsters shooting?
Rob Burrito

Post by Rob Burrito » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:31 pm

yeah that was it. had the projectile action step set to shoot straight. calling that projectile then created an action step of shooting object #$02. interesting to know that's possible. when i altered the #$02 to avoid gravity and gave it some speed it was fun to have a double shot with two types of projectile. think both issues were oversight due to trying to keep up with the tutorial live, appreciate the help!

also probably for a suggestions topic, but i just lost about two hours work on pixel editor by accidentally clicking on another folder when switching between windows. to have the pixel editor hold it's state and current project until a new item loaded would save anyone that works within the tool for creating graphic assets a TON of frustration. if it has to clear every time, another way would be while having the editor open, setting a routine to every so often (5 min?) holding the last full bmp as a temp file you can recall with a back or last button whenever accidentally clicking out of there.
TheNew8bitHeroes

Post by TheNew8bitHeroes » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:54 pm

Hm - i SHOULD'VE given you a warning about saving...did it not? This is a good potential solution...or even if it exists in a buffer, that is still present if you click on and then off.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Ah ah, yeah, it's annoying. But when you experienced it once... you do save every 2 minutes! ;) just in case.
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
Rob Burrito

Post by Rob Burrito » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:05 pm

yeah a save screen did pop up. makes sense now, but was really confusing to me since i was trying to go to the editor, not away from it. i didn't know the save screen was a thing yet, and thought that cancel would have kept the editor open as it was. instead loaded the part of the tool that was clicked by accident. coulda saved it with that, having the tool save for ya would help idiot-proof it. done for today it's the type of thing that makes you walk away haha. yeah dale i think from here out it's save per completed tile manually for me sorry to hear you lost some work too!
Rob Burrito

Post by Rob Burrito » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:16 pm

at is there an up to date hotkey reference anywhere? in the tutorial you mention F5'ing things, when my delete is just numerical 5, and at 2:14:42 you copy/paste the wall without mentioning the command. i would recommend putting one in the tool itself, as a pop-up window option on the overworld/underworld screens. plenty of room there beside the add group/remove buttons for a hotkey list button haha.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Yes, the "5" key, very useful.
I miss the "7" key that used to change the collision data, with the data of the selected tile.
The "0" change the collision data, but only makes it null walkable.
And the "Q", "W", "E" and "R" to change the subpalette (respectively to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th subpal).
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
TheNew8bitHeroes

Post by TheNew8bitHeroes » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:35 pm

Yeah, when I say F5, I mean 5. Trust me, I get all confused, because "5" is a function key that essentially erased tiles...hex value F5 is my personal default for blank tiles, which is, by default, written by the 6 key....sorry if my brain goes cross eyed sometimes. haha. Right now, no F keys are actually used.

And yeah, we want to provide a hotkey popup, as well as a macro definition list. :-)