NESmaker Pi beta 3.14 update patch and new tutorial set

Rob Burrito

Re: NESmaker Pi beta 3.14 update patch and new tutorial set

Post by Rob Burrito » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:27 am

Mihoshi i think you and dale might be the only two ive seen at least on the forums to get this far into the pi empty tutorials moving on to 13 i think it's up to 17 views, i've watched all of them twice so far so looks like only a few beta testers have taken it on so far. i'm catching up, and also had some issues with the end of tutorial 12. for some reason after changing HUD assets i was getting test compiling error and windows error (given key was not present in the dictionary) . the 'given key' error seems usually tied to and fixed with deleting the previous text from the HudElement, and the compiling error was tied to the 'selector' Hud Asset. was able to compile after removing the bottom of the 'selector' asset, which was noted as an issue area already. got through it with a resized 3x2 selector box to move on. noticed changing assets is really problematic, so definitely save state before and during Hud work! gotta nail it first time haha, hopefully fixed on an update, believe Joe mentioned it's a known issue.
Rob Burrito

Post by Rob Burrito » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:39 am

the other anomaly i've seen with testing this one is that moving the player to the first (top left) tile of the screen will register a hit to the player. monsters can also roam to and from that tile without effect. in the demo, blocks are placed on that tile so not sure if anyone caught that yet. this occurs on blank screens or screens with other setups that do not have a tile there, and happens on screens with or without monsters. seems to be a constant for that tile address if that helps, on the overworld screen tile info, it reads null walkable, and writing over with a grass tile (null walkable) has no effect.

**edit** in working through video 14 i found that it's true tile 1 will register a hit if the previous screen had monsters on it. when placing pickups only, the next and future screens would not register a hit, but instead increase the score (by three). standing on the tile increases score rapidly, and is always increased by three no matter how many pickups were placed. another screen load remnant bug goin on there with monsters loading a collision value onto tile 0x0. *this also carries over with triggered screens too, with triggered monsters and pickups, seems to take whatever was on the previous screen and repeats it until it changes from pickup collision (score) or monster (hit)
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:22 am

Oh wow, Rob Burrito, didn’t know for the 0x0 tile and collisions issues. I am curious too, I will do some tests.
Thanks for sharing that.
Of course, as every software, code, there are bugs, glitches... Joe and Josh (and, as I like to think, us nesmakers) try to make them as few as possible, find the most dangerous / gamebreaker ones.
But there will be always small bugs somewhere, we have to accept it and deal with some of them.
<3
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:10 am

I played again with the pi empty beta, and managed to make a platform game, animations right/left OK, jumps OK (even ladders OK).
Small video: https://youtu.be/nTAwG6ZG1MM

PiEmptyBeta_plateform.png
PiEmptyBeta_plateform.png (12.38 KiB) Viewed 469 times
-----
Rob Burrito

Post by Rob Burrito » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:09 pm

awesome dale! yeah i'm gonna try to go through from memory and make something playable next. agreed the crew is doing a great job on the tool, just reporting and isolating the issues as much as possible to help debug, and post for solutions for other folks who may run into the same issues while working through the tutorials. it's what we paid to be able to do! i do fully test every bug i find, and bigger ones i typically will try from a scratch build and run through as many variables as i can to give as detailed report as possible. apologies if any bug reports seem informal. try running a restaurant sometime and see how error report levels of logic and courtesy are handled by the public lol. joe seems to be off easy so far with just folks telling him how to run a business ('the way you're doing it is stupid' ...it's endless) and eating bags of dicks is public insult 101 (especially for online comments, a direct message was generous!) i think mihoshi shared the sentiment of rather find and work through this with a small group that understand there will be bugs, vs after release, answering the same thing endlessly, or all the headaches that come with releasing patches to folks who choose not to read the directions haha. loving the tool so far, tons of potential and the support for a beta has been amazing.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:34 pm

loving the tool so far, tons of potential and the support for a beta has been amazing
Agree with you! <3
-----
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:08 pm

Rob Burrito wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:09 pm
awesome dale! yeah i'm gonna try to go through from memory and make something playable next. agreed the crew is doing a great job on the tool, just reporting and isolating the issues as much as possible to help debug, and post for solutions for other folks who may run into the same issues while working through the tutorials. it's what we paid to be able to do! i do fully test every bug i find, and bigger ones i typically will try from a scratch build and run through as many variables as i can to give as detailed report as possible. apologies if any bug reports seem informal. try running a restaurant sometime and see how error report levels of logic and courtesy are handled by the public lol. joe seems to be off easy so far with just folks telling him how to run a business ('the way you're doing it is stupid' ...it's endless) and eating bags of dicks is public insult 101 (especially for online comments, a direct message was generous!) i think mihoshi shared the sentiment of rather find and work through this with a small group that understand there will be bugs, vs after release, answering the same thing endlessly, or all the headaches that come with releasing patches to folks who choose not to read the directions haha. loving the tool so far, tons of potential and the support for a beta has been amazing.
Dealing with the public is never fun and I hope Joe was really anticipating a few bad eggs to come along, if anything it's inspiration for Troll Burner 2. LOL! But yes, it seems that the Minecraft method and Steam's Early access along with today's instant gratification/want it now mentality has warped the perception of what the beta process is about and expectations for it. Bugs are expected, as are wanky UI choices, not to mention having to start a project you've spent weeks on over from scratch because a UI or code change broke a lot of things. That's the price of getting to use software early. We are the early pioneers charting the course even if the waters are a bit rough to help smooth out the user experience before the general public gets a hold of it. To squash the bugs and suggest tweaks to the UI.

Most people who complain about not getting access to the beta are the ones who wouldn't be happy with it's beta quirks anyways.
Rob Burrito

Post by Rob Burrito » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Any chance we can get a set of challenges for this tutorial for extra credit? Make something scroll, add the new path code and make a unique background path, hmm horrible game that has a night time random switch curse? Give us something to debug haha
Tengen Games North

Post by Tengen Games North » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:35 pm

So if I read the last few posts correctly there are but a few testers still hanging in and testing? How many were there? I've kind of put all my NES maker ideas to the side and was waiting for a final release before picking it back up. I am guessing the release in August won't be the final one and is still going to be buggy, maybe a useful tool for someone with a good grasp of assembly knowledge but still limited on it's own. It will be what it will be I suppose, I don't feel very hopeful of seeing any of may game ideas come to fruition. :P I guess it will be fun to play with for a while and see what I can manage to put together, glad I didn't commission many famitracker tunes, best to wait until there is a game which needs music.