NESmaker Pi beta 3.14 update patch and new tutorial set

Rob Burrito

Hey digging into the new tutorials and noted on video 2_AddingAssets, at 6:20 you export and test, with screen data loaded and you viola see a screen. unfortunately if someone is first time digging in, in order, their expectations will fall short as they will get a grey screen when emulating the first time. i imagine you want to hit a wow factor as someone first time beginner able to create and show actual emulated NES graphics in under 30 min. but between takes from video 1 and 2 you set the HUD (to get assets/background to show), set the start screen and placed player (to get the right screen to load), and animated the character, set a palette, and set it's object details of player/persistent (to get the player to actually show up). i know it's earlier in the tutorial to get this to happen, but showing the emulation successful is gonna cause a pile of folks whining it's not working right haha. may want to show that as a "i'll explain these later, for now just hit these quick to start testing screens." also wanted to mention the pace and explanations are great. going over again is helping become more familiar with the tool. only gripe so far is 3 videos in i've only touched code once ..and it was commenting stuff out haha!

Rob Burrito

Particular to this tutorial also not sure how empty it’s supposed to be, but dumbMovementRight and dumbMovementLeft are already loaded. Wasn’t sure if you meant to include those or have us write em in. Easy enough Routine to start with for sure!

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
I think that vid is supposed to have a second part - fortunately i can edit Vimeo vids without changing the link! I will make that update...good catch!

And damnit, yeah i meant to clear out custom scripts.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Ok! This has been fixed! There was a chunk of video cut off, that showed exactly those things...how to create the player object, how to set up the hud, and place the player. ha. Sort of important!

Rob Burrito

cool went through the update and yeah now folks should be pretty excited to within their first session have a sprite appear through an emulator. on video 4_ChangingObjectStates, (all those scripts are still written in there haha) i was wondering the difference in changing the player state between coding in a input derived ChangeObjectState vs. an object details/actions/end action/GoToFirst (or previous). the difference in gameplay seems delayed for the object details route. both seem to work, but i'm guessing the input route is just faster to update?

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Hm - as for the player state. Any input code is absolutely happening with immediacy, as the inputs are handled every frame. The timers are also running every frame though, and if a timer runs out facilitating a change, that should ALSO be immediate. It's just hard to quantify exactly when the timer is changing, I guess? But no, it should also be instantaneous, unless you have crazy amounts of things happening per frame (but then you'd also get NES slowdown effect).

Rob Burrito

yeah it works well as shown in the videos with the action step saying loop if end action step 0, and loop as end action step 1. the issue is when telling the object to gotofirst it seems the timer can't have a 0 value (0 currently meaning random i believe) then the action is just not as responsive due to the timer.

i just wondered the differences in coding, and if that was redundant since they are both returning the object to a default state. without the input code and trying it directly as an action to return to another state; it seems to be random timing at all settings 0 thru 15 on the action timer. not sure if it's a real issue or not, depends on how responsive i guess you want that action step version of player object state change. mostly wondered what the differences in process were between the two object state routines. so far just seems one has a timer haha. not sure if there is a way to turn the timer off? the looping action setups it does work as you mentioned updating every frame.

dale_coop

Staff member
Oh yeah, it's helpful. It's not difficult to read and try to understand what do some code written, but with these videos, now we can understand how it works, why this variable here, why this subroutine or macro call here, ... how you design the code.
It's truly interesting<3

Small issues with some scripts. Some of the code is already written (like the hud hooks in InitLoads.asm or some movement scripts...), and there was a "JMP RESET" at the beginning of the HandleDeathPlayer.asm that of course, skip the death animation part of the script, in my case.

I just finished watching the video 12 on the HUD, nice! (can't go further tonight, it's almost 1:30AM, will join my wife zZZZzz)

Rob Burrito

yeah as i mentioned the explanations are great and at a good pace. after working with the last few i've been able to keep up with these almost live. the effort much appreciated, i'm only posting bugs and anomalies to help. it's what the betas all about right?

dale_coop

Staff member
I was watching again some of the videos this morning, and something bother me... I don't know from which video, but in the las beta, when you "export & test", it now says
Code:
pass 1
pass 2
last try
game.nes writter
when it used to say
Code:
pass 1
pass 2
game.nes writter

why the "last try" ? is there any error code somewhere ?

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
I think it’s just a timing thing, certain bits of ASM taking longer to assemble. If the game assembled, there was no error reported. If there was an error, it would’ve failed to write the .nes file. :)

dale_coop

Staff member
I was watching the last video tonight, and I noticed there is a small issue in the HUD: looks like the bottom right of the HUD is not updating (showing what it should).

HUD in the tutorial video.png

I did some tests, and it's quite... bizarre.
Maybe you already know about that?

HUD Bottom Right Tests.png

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
I was actually diving into it a bit tonight. It IS bizarre, because it doesn't seem to be on the element draw , because if you just nudge it to the left, the problem disappears. So something is getting overdrawn, over the top of it...that's the logical answer, But I don't know exactly why.

But yes, I was just looking into that anomaly literally right this second. I'm sure I'll track it down.

Top Bottom