Can't move left

Rob Burrito

anyone know what issue would cause moving a screen to the left (and holding left) would cause it to jump between the two screens (current and left screen?) seems like he's being written to a spot where he's also colliding with the edge of right side of the new screen, taking him instantly back.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Hey friend - yes, this bug has been spotted...increase the width of your collision box for your player as a temporary fix! Thanks for the report. :)

Rob Burrito

should also mention two things, it's from the tutorial project, and this effect is global (occurs with all screens that can move to the left, including blank screens). assuming it's with the hero design or if there's a warp to/write location axis that's editable and i just need to move it over one. ok just saw the reply and will give it a try, thanks!

Rob Burrito

Ha, well it did kinda work- assuming you already are aware of the if you go left with the larger bounding box he will just skate left, and a bunch of input bugs that come along with that one? ice skating across the screens is pretty hilarious. if it's a known bug for now i'll move on, just wanted to make sure it wasn't input or user error. thanks for the quick reply, i hadn't seen anything on that one yet

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
that's not one we know about. Make sure your release events are correct, too., and that he's not warping onto a solid tile. The bug we're aware of is a placement issue where it's not factoring the bounding box size into placement on the next screen correctly. Skating as described should not be a thing that's happening.

Rob Burrito

ugh the forum logged me out and lost the reply. gotta hit that 'stay logged in'. anyways, yeah reproduced it a few times and went to record it. all controls operating as intended, and the game winnable- after going left went into a skate mode as if being held/input script error. after hitting the opposite direction many input issues came up, left, up and start all became up, nothing was down and right somehow stayed move right. opening the project back up now to record it, all save states are corrupted and wont compile. only change i know of was making the bounding box bigger on the hero. was changing screens a lot so who knows if a random click broke the game and all save states. seems strange as it was repeatedly compiling to test, and only in coming back to it the next day was it uncompileable. the NESmaker that wont compile that, i've kept the window open and it will run a playable version of the desert pedestrian second project (fceux on both)

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
I can look into these things, but no one else has reported this specific error, so it calls into question exactly what may have triggered it. It's hard to know. Though I will tell you, NO input has any affect on the save state. Nothing in the engine has any affect on anything in the tool's ability to save or load data.

I'd love it if you broke it down, went through the tutorials, and as soon as you notice the problem (assuming it has nothing to do with the bounding box issue) get a video and hold that save state so I can check it out. Incidentally, check to make sure that no monster objects are on the starting screen - there was one case where this seemed to cause a problem.

Rob Burrito

sure i'll give it a try. yeah i thought i'd just revert to another save state and figure it out, when none of them that were playable compiled i was curious. i'll copy the graphic assets into a new project and start the tutorial over seeing if i can do it from memory haha, this time with no monsters on the opening screen. started the next project and i animated and added motion to the hero in Desert Pedestrian and he seemed to function well so far (even walking left). that was after removing all monsters from the opening screen as well.

Rob Burrito

since i can't open those save states on the bugged original to reproduce it, i went through building the beta asset game again from scratch, from memory, and in two hours had a playable/winable 5 screen game with tunes and animated monsters and boss. the issue hasn't repeated yet, and this one seems to be fine. pretty impressive tool to be able to do that already! if i can get the bug to reappear i'll pass along the save state and video. so far pretty stoked to be able to make a functional, winable game so quick without needing to reference directions. i just need to animate the hero yet and fix two placements and it'll be a finished demo, i'll report if i can get it to happen again from an animation, other wise might have been a one off error

Rob Burrito

ok so finished up the animations and found two bugs, one is at least a fun bug (yeah fun for once!) when you enter the first monster screen higher up, it writes you near an enemy and you become a playable bug in the hero palette that instantly walks to the opening screen. when you enter the monster screen again as the monster, you turn back into monster palette, and when you enter the dungeon you become a playable banshee hand. repeatable, still working on figuring out video capture, but took some screenshots. game is completely playable and winnable otheriwse, and the fun part is as the bug and banshee hand you gain the collision and auto change direction that they're programmed for on top of being able to control it normally, if you hit a wall you just start going another way. the bugs also die and win, but plays the original hero explosion and win animations for those.

open screen, playing normally:
open screen.PNG

Rob Burrito

entered second screen and quickly flipped left to original into a playable bug (this only happens near the top, where the player would be written near an enemy, but not over top, at the bottom of the screen the game continues to play normally):now a playable bug in hero palette.PNG

Attachments

• now a playable bug in hero palette.PNG
    now a playable bug in hero palette.PNG
    69.6 KB · Views: 2,141

Rob Burrito

here is an example of another bug, where the monster gets caught on the left edge upon collision, while the playable monster is about to enter the dungeon:

Attachments

• playable bug about to enter dungeon, bug stuck in left edge.PNG
    playable bug about to enter dungeon, bug stuck in left edge.PNG
    72.4 KB · Views: 2,141

Rob Burrito

and in the win room, becomes monster with hero palette again, can win and reset the game, have close and reopened the project to the same effect:

Attachments

• bug in hero palette win room.PNG
    bug in hero palette win room.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,141

Rob Burrito

Ha good idea steven! get inspiration by working within your limitations both in programming and on the runway. would be great to use blue steel to stun the enemy!

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Hey there - this will be patched in the newest version...to fix, make absolute sure that your first screen, all monsters are disabled. That *should* fix the problem, but it also may not. It's something I forgot to comment out that is causing this, where it assumes the first object will be zero indexed. That, and many more little bug fixes have already been patched thanks to everyone's help. I need Josh to make a few corresponding tweaks to the front end, and then we'll release the first patch for beta testers. And it will include simple shooting, some collectables, maybe a counter (get all collectables, open the door sort of thing) and hopefully a few more AI types.

TurtleRescueNES

Looking forward to the new mechanics. Meanwhile, I've rewatched several of the tutorials to get a better grasp of things. Amazing what you pick up on the second time around.

Top Bottom