What am I doing wrong?

TurtleRescueNES

So a few things going on here. First, I still don't know why when I post a video to YouTube, it compresses the heck out of it. I can tell the original file is decent, and even when I "edit" the video on my YouTube account, it looks fine. But the public video looks terrible. But that's not the reason I'm posting this. Despite the quality, the video does help illustrate some problems I am having.

https://youtu.be/C8mFaka8v10

The above video shows my little turtle guy encountering four unusual "deaths." The first two are simply from being unable to transition to the next screen. It's not a left or right issue that I think I've seen raised here. As you can see, he starts in screen two, and can move left to screen one, or right to screen three, but cannot return to screen two. The game just locks up.

The third and fourth deaths are a result of the turtle's collision with a an object marked as solid. The first, being the traffic cone, and the second being the ocean. This is probably easy and I just missed something in the hero's setup.

Any thoughts? :)

417gcs

As for the video compression, it looks like youtube is setting your resolution to 144p as the auto. Bumping it up to 240p fixes the issue.

I'm not sure on the screen transition, but at one point, were the traffic cone and ocean marked as "death" when making contact rather than "solid"? One of the issues I was going to point out today was that even if you update an asset characteristic (null, solid, death, etc.), it doesn't update it on the play screen until you manually go in and change it. It can be painstaking if you have a lot of the same tile.

I had some tiles which were marked as death tiles. I hadn't set everything up quite right yet; and dying over and over was becoming tedious, so I decided to switch them to solid instead. The tiles till showed up as death tiles until I went and clicked each one with the solid version of the same tile.

Anyway, hope that helps.

417gcs

After watching it again, is it possible your turtle is transitioning into the cones? That might be causing the issue.

TurtleRescueNES

Thanks, 417. I'll have to verify everything tomorrow. I don't remember marking anything as "death" tiles, but who knows. The first deaths could be a result of something similar in that the game thinks the turtle is touching a death tile, even if no cones are near it. It will take some experimenting.

Are they marked as Solid or Solid (SOLID). I had similar issue because i accidentally check a box for solid on one corner tile of my graphics. You can easily tell if box is checked by scrolling over every tile of your graphic that is displayed on screen. They should be lablede solid, not solid(SOLID). If it has solid(SOLID) that solid box might be checked.

TurtleRescueNES

Okay, I now see that the issue was because I had marked the Solid checkbox and I've reversed that and reloaded the tiles on the overworld layout, and that fixed the problem.

Apparently, I missed the part of the videos that talked about how to define the tile types, such as solid or death. I see them listed on some of Joe's videos, but mine are still all listed as Tile01 through Tile15. Can someone point me to the right tutorial that covered where to configure those?

Mihoshi20

NESmaker Beta1 Tutorial 5 - Building Screens talks quite a bit about the tile types and shows the drop down menu for selecting the type and even naming them their functions like walkable, death, warp, etc. To make it easier to remember which tile type number is what function. Tutorial 12 also specifically talks about screen warp type tiles.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes and our apologies for tile labels not persisting over save states! That is an immediate patch being fixed.

Top Bottom