Strange HUD Bug

Bucket Mouse

So as you know, you can't use the HUD yet -- which is why you have to turn it off. When I do, however, the things I put in that area don't show up.

I made a wall of solid tiles where the HUD would normally be, and they don't appear in the compiled game. Instead no wall appears at all -- just the floor tile -- and the sprite can go right through the area.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
I’m not sure how you even ‘put stuff up there’...there is no way to paint that section in the tool. Right now it blanks it out by default and doesn’t load anything into the place.

Bucket Mouse

Ah, but you CAN paint it!

youcanpaintit.jpg

All you have to do is toggle off the "Show HUD" button, and that area will become available. Apparently that wasn't intentional.

So here's what was going on: you can paint that area. But the compiler will render the blank HUD area anyway. Which means it was clipping off the top walls I was making, so the sprite went right through.
I didn't notice the size difference and thought the game was somehow putting floor tiles where my wall tiles were.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Ah I see! Currently, the engine will completely ignore anything drawn there. One of the reasons games created now may have trouble working in future versions is we are going to limit the collision data to four bits (16 values) rather than a whole byte per tile. This will give us more play per screen for screen data, and allow this to be usable area without completely restructuring our banking system for screens. Just haven't done it yet, but likely by the May beta, this will be implemented.

Top Bottom