Music is altered when transferred from FamiTracker to NESMaker

PoloBlue

Hey folks, I got a little bit of a situation.

I'm working on a commission for a friend's game, and they're able to play my tracks in NESMaker (thank God), but when the tracks are run in the emulator, the tracks in-game sound altered from what I made originally:
- The noise channel sounds at different "pitches" between FamiTracker and NESMaker.
- One channel/instrument is always mysteriously omitted.

Here's a comparison between how one particular track is supposed to sound vs. how it actually sounds in the game (In case there are problems with the links, the percussion sounds heavier than intended, and in this specific track, the triangle channel is just gone altogether):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NESmakers/permalink/633161623704833/

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2tC_KRRm5qQ

Any idea what's going on, and how it can be fixed? I want to put out my very best for this project, but this is kinda putting a damper on that (not to mention it could hurt prospects for any future commissions). Thanks in advance, guys!

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
It’s not an exact science, unfortunately. It may be the tool’s interpretation. It may be gradual games engine. It may be famitracker. It’s hard to tell in context - it would require a lot more digging!

digit2600

What tempo are you running the project at ? It's my understanding that the most stable tempo to use is 150, also,most nes games were 150.

I believe that speed is supposed to be used versus tempo, but this is all just stuff I've read on line, so who knows.

PoloBlue

The tempo I have set for this specific song is 180. I'll try to adjust to the 150 tempo and change the speed settings around so hopefully all will go smoothly. It seems the speed settings also go by increments of 30 bpm, so hopefully this will be a super quick fix.

TheGeek

Thanks for reporting this! The player that is in the tool tries to re-create what it will sound like in the game, but I know that it isn't completely accurate. A big problem that I have is that I am unsure of the relative volumes that I should use for the various channels. I have tweaked it a little but I just don't have a good enough ear to tell the difference. I am still working on it though. If you are able to say stuff like, reduce the max volume on the triangle channel by half, or stuff like that, it would be very helpful.
Thanks!

PoloBlue

No problem, and thank you for the updates!

As far as I can tell, the sounds of the instruments themselves are just fine when they actually play. And as for the triangle channel, to my knowledge, there really isn't anything we can do to adjust its volume. It either plays, or it doesn't. And I guess for the time being, I could also switch up the percussion sounds to accommodate the game, so the heavier "kick" sounds would instead be hi-hats, and vice-versa.

TheGeek

My advice for sound for right now, is to make it sound good in FamiTracker. I currently do not respect the pitch or arp in the instrument definition in the player. The GG player does though. Also, I haven't implemented the looping using the Bxx command. Those are on my list though!

Top Bottom