NESmaker files gone from Windows 10, no file history. any advice on recovery?

Rob Burrito

So i downloaded NESmaker 4.1.0 last night, and so somewhere along the lines of the last 24 hours, everything in my old NESmaker file (all games, assets, previous versions, previous versions games, other folks games etc) are gone. the old file was not replaced, the new one is here and working fine in it's own folder. oddly the only thing left in the old file is the mensen emulator. sadly i did not have file history turned on (new computer forgot to set that up, ugh). not sure what happened, but the file is still there and for some reason the emulator stayed, but all other files are gone. also not in the recycle bin, and as mentioned the file history was not on. if anyone has any suggestions on how to recover let me know!

Rob Burrito

also should mention i turned on hidden files, and properties says it only contains one file (the mensen emulator)

dale_coop

Staff member
Maybe a Windows update or the Antivirus removed them? (or you have a girlfriend/wife/kid that loves cleanup your pc files?)
You could try some data recovery freeware, you might get back some of them.

Rob Burrito

haha i doubt it. only program i removed or filed deleted was winrar, but shouldn't have been associated with any of those (and other zip files did stay on after it was removed)

Rob Burrito

and after setting up my backup now the original folder itself with mensen is gone. wtf? man this sucks, was waiting so anxiously for 4.1.0 and having lost assets for three games same day is instantly demotivating. i'll check into the freeware to see if i can find anything, thanks for the suggestion.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yes, it's very sad, Rob Burrito :( I hope you will be able to recover some files (assets).
It's the reason I backup my NESMaker folders almost every day (after I worked on it), on external usb drive + usb key. Just in case.

Rob Burrito

Dale i was able to recover some BMP's with some freeware. so about 30% of the art was salvaged. interesting how things aren't fully gone till they're written over. most of the files were corrupted though and are missing large portions and others need cleaned up. sadly lost all the meticulous organization and all NES maker version archives and version projects, as well as my NES ROM collection which was in the same folder. still have no idea what happened there. may this be a lesson that even though the nesmaker saves and auto saves, make sure you have windows setup to backup regularly with file history on to not lose everything from a windows bug.

Rob Burrito

was able to use recuva to properly ID what files have gone missing and are unrecoverable. got a few roms & .bmps back at least! adios to my tidy archive folder :.(

Top Bottom