I click "Place Monster 1" and nothing happens

Bucket Mouse

I followed the instructions in the newest video to the letter, but when I went to an overworld screen to set down my first monster, nothing happened. I tried clicking several times. The monster never appeared.

In the previous version of the beta, "Edit Monster Placement Details" would only produce a window 10 percent of the time. Now the problem appears to be worse.

I'm a good tester, aren't I? Bugs just tend to seek me out. However, they prevent me from making anything.

dale_coop

Staff member
Make sure your monsters are assigned to be monsters in object details dialog (the « monster » checkbox)
And that your monsters are in a Monster group.
Last, verify your Monster group assigned to your screen.
Might be one these steps, you missed.

Bucket Mouse

dale_coop said:
Make sure your monsters are assigned to be monsters in object details dialog (the « monster » checkbox)
And that your monsters are in a Monster group.
Last, verify your Monster group assigned to your screen.
Might be one these steps, you missed.

All those things are accounted for. Nothing's happening.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Too little info.

If you followed the tuts all the way through, did you make a pickup block anywhere? If so, it may have changed all screens with like screen types to “triggered”. That means triggered monsters would load, and that if you put no monsters in triggered, the screen would be blank.

Just a thought.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
(and since they all default to zero, that could be your problem, if all zero screens get triggered)

Bucket Mouse

I don't think I did that because I don't know what a pickup block is yet. I can make screenshots if that helps....

fish1.jpg
fish2.jpg
fish3.jpg

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Ok - so on the top of the screen, in the blank hud area, you should see your monsters. When you right click and put "place mon 1" it should put it where your mouse is. If you're saying it doesn't do that...try it again. Sometimes the control can be a bit finicky where it wants you to click. If it appears on the screen where you clicked, you're good to go. If not, you miss-clicked.

If it DOES show up in that spot under the mouse in the screen tool, and you go to play it and it doesn't show up, that may be a different issue.

Bucket Mouse

TheNew8bitHeroes said:
Ok - so on the top of the screen, in the blank hud area, you should see your monsters. When you right click and put "place mon 1" it should put it where your mouse is. If you're saying it doesn't do that...try it again. Sometimes the control can be a bit finicky where it wants you to click. If it appears on the screen where you clicked, you're good to go. If not, you miss-clicked.

If it DOES show up in that spot under the mouse in the screen tool, and you go to play it and it doesn't show up, that may be a different issue.

I kept right-clicking and choosing "Place Monster 1." The fish appeared on my seventh try.

I decided to try and put another fish on the screen. This time it took twenty-five clicks before it appeared. Clearly a bug.

I won't have time to experiment again until later this evening, but I have yet to get the Monster Placement Data window to show up.

What do you think the issue could be?

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is that you’re moving your mouse off place mon before the click registers? I do it every now and again, but second time always works fine. So i’m not sure.

Bucket Mouse

So you really don't know what's going on? I'm just screwed then?

I found another issue: when I ran the game, Monster 2 turned into garbled pixels when he bounced off a wall. I haven't programmed the player death into the game yet so I don't know if that's what's causing it.

Mihoshi20

I've noticed that when using place monster, clicking the first time will often fail fairly consistently, but immediately going back to the menu and clicking again will work. I was a little confused at first as to what was happening.

Bucket Mouse

Mihoshi20 said:
I've noticed that when using place monster, clicking the first time will often fail fairly consistently, but immediately going back to the menu and clicking again will work. I was a little confused at first as to what was happening.

That doesn't work for me. I've been experimenting with different things, trying to look for patterns, and haven't found any. It's just completely random whether Place Monster will work or not, usually not.

Mihoshi20

Bucket Mouse said:
Mihoshi20 said:

That doesn't work for me. I've been experimenting with different things, trying to look for patterns, and haven't found any. It's just completely random whether Place Monster will work or not, usually not.

Hmm, okay. I've only done a few screens so far and had that behavior. As I build more that might start happening or it might not. Has it always been like that for your current project or did it just start spontaneously happening?

Bucket Mouse

Mihoshi20 said:
Bucket Mouse said:
Mihoshi20 said:

Hmm, okay. I've only done a few screens so far and had that behavior. As I build more that might start happening or it might not. Has it always been like that for your current project or did it just start spontaneously happening?

It's always been like that and this is my second build. When 3.1.3 came out I rebuilt the entire game, on 8BitHeroes' advisement.

Mihoshi20

Bucket Mouse said:
Mihoshi20 said:
Bucket Mouse said:

It's always been like that and this is my second build. When 3.1.3 came out I rebuilt the entire game, on 8BitHeroes' advisement.

Hmm, I'm out of ideas. I imagine you don't have issues like this outside the program so it's not an issue with the mouse itself as over time some develop auto double clicking or unresponsive buttons, but that doesn't seem to be the case here and it's NESmaker specific.

TheGeek

Hey guys, My current thoughts are that if you are using a tablet style pointing device, I might not be handling everything correctly. If possible, try moving the mouse pointer to the location that you want to place the monster, then doing the tap/rightClick at that location to actually place it. I'll spend a little time today checking out my code for pointer tracking if this turns out to be the cause. Thanks!

Top Bottom