keys and doors

stevenshepherd

I am trying to figure out how to unlock at door by picking up a key in the other room. I tried doing this based on what is covered in the most recent video, but all I managed to do was screw up the screens and had to redo some of them :) Any thoughts? thanks!

Mihoshi20

The most important part is making sure your room/screen with the pickup and your room/screen with the door are set to the same screen type and that your pickup item is set as a monster type pickup. Your door also needs to be a tile not a monster and set as tile type All Pickups Lock.

I also had a major issue when I was trying to do it where the door wouldn't open, but I was trying to do something advanced and put more then one type of monster in the door room and the pickup room which the engine didn't like. It would switch to the triggered monsters but the door wouldn't open. So in your pickup room make all 4 monsters the key but place just one in the room, and in your door room make all day monsters the same and all triggered monsters the same and see if that helps.

After you know it's working, then you can experiment.

Following tutorial, in the screen options in the screen with the door you want to open, set the screen type to any number say 2. In the. In the room with the key you can set first monster to your key and monsters 2-3 as a monster. Set the screen type as 2 as well. Now make an invisible door type in the room with the key. I made it look like a floor type and placed it in a corner surrounded by two skulls so player won't wonder why they can walk on the floor piece. When you grab key it x will trigger invisible door and door in other room because they are same screen type.

stevenshepherd

Hmm, now just putting the pickup item on the screen (perhaps combined with changing the screen type) makes it freeze when I walk onto that screen...

Also, when one of these "all monster" or "all pick up" tiles disappears, how does it know what to replace that tile with/what is "underneath" it? Does it just go with the first tile in the tile set?

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
There are actually 4 "underneath" types of tiles. For now, I just have it defautling to tile 0 until we work out some other things. :)

Top Bottom