Norton Anti-virus doesn't like NESmaker

erockbrox

I was thinking that this was going to happen and it did. Norton deleted important files off the program.

I also do rom hacking work and Norton also HATES those programs too. I just can't stand it. I'd rather just remove my anti-virus altogether.

seRZBS6.png

Kasumi

Yeah, Norton's a little overzealous. My friend was learning to program and it deleted simple programs he made himself (like "hello world") off his computer.

Norton basically assumes any uncommon program (as in it hasn't seen it on >x% of computers) is malicious. It's not a bad idea per se, but it does make things hard for "power users".

Mihoshi20

Is one thing I hate about anti-virus software, just how lazy the detection is. It doesn't actually observe what the program code does, it makes far too many assumptions with very little real analysis.

darkhog

1. Norton is badly written.
2. Norton has awful rate of false positives - so much in fact that not even VirusTotal uses it (look at example scan), even though it uses other AV engines of questionable quality, like Zone-Alarm or McAfee.
3. The quality of Norton's coding is awful.
4. Norton's is the best utility if you want to put your CPU under high stress, e.g. to test results of overclocking or to test cooling. That's the only thing it's really good for.
5. Did I mention how awfully coded Norton is?

Please don't use Norton. It's useless. Get a real antivirus like AVG or Comodo. Hell, even McAfee is better than that thing (and McAfee is terrible too;EDIT: Please note I only mean the AV software. John McAfee is a pretty cool dude).

Top Bottom