[NESMaker pi] TopDown - Moving right or left trigger jump animation

dale_coop

Staff member
I found a small issue with movements...
In a topdown game configuration, when your player go left or right (hold_left, hold_right scripts), the action step become #$02
No problem with platform game.
So instead of walking, the player is jumping (yes, of course, he's happy to walk in the grass).

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes that makes sense. Really, I sort of intended for this set of scripts to be used WITH the tutorial to make the platform game, generally.

I'm having a hard time determining the best way to get all the information in succinct bits. Like - those who went through the previous tutorials should have a good handle on the input scripts, which I didn't spend any time going over in the long tutorial. But of course, if someone wants to use the newest version, they'd have to look back at those older tutorials to understand what is happening in those scripts.

But I only have so much time in a day! Haha. So I'm still trying to figure out how to really do this seamlessly.

Thats part of this beta too - seeing what is confusing, what is intuitive, how I need to address things in the ACTUAL tutorials for the full program. :)

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah, understand. Same here, between hours at office (coding all the day) and family work at home (wife and kid), I try to find some minutes for myself when I can (during my lunchtime / when my kid is in bed / my wife in the bathtub / or went to bed)...

So, of course, don't worry Joe. You can think about that, fix it in a next beta.
Meanwhile, I will modify the scripts for my topdown game. So the animation will be ok ;)

Maybe just an intialization in "InitLoad.asm", would do the trick / fix the issue:
Code:
    LDA #$01 
    STA onGround

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's going to be one of the challenges of doing some of these without the module system fully fleshed out.

Honestly, I should've started from absolute zero for these. Created the movement scripts and everything to show how the function, but then people would not get it and say "I thought we didn't have to learn how to do any coding". I'm still trying to figure it out exactly. haha

Rob Burrito

while i do think the current tutorials get along without much coding, and becomes super fast to make a playable NES game, i do have to say i wouldn't mind some tutorials going over code functionality to help with bugging and manipulating code.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
I started working on some baseline tutorials last night.

There will be an "EMPTY" project that will allow users better grasp on what's happening, I hope, for this exact purpose.

By the time the full tool comes out, the module system will alleviate a lot of this for folks who don't want to dig that deep but just want to create.

dale_coop

Staff member
I think your idea of an "empty" project is great, Joe! It will be very instructive, as we will learn a lot of how "our" games (made with NESMaker) work. And so, we would be able to make modifications, if we want.
But of course, if you don't have enough time (a day is only 24hours)... you can delay those tutorials.
I am already very great full for everything you delivered, for all the videos you made (it's a lot of time for you) those are very precious help (I go back to them often). And the forum... so nice.
Merci beaucoup, Joe :)

Top Bottom