Using code generated from NESmaker in a separate homebrew game. (Licensing issue question? Maybe?)

MistSonata

So, as I learn more and more about the limits of NESmaker and the NES itself, I've been wondering more and more about scenarios where I might want to do this or that, but I had one specific situation that I was curious about.

I know that, so long as we have a valid license of NESmaker, we can use the code made from it as our own works and sell them without royalties, but what if it's not for a NESmaker game necessarily? Like say I want to do a bunch of stuff that NESmaker doesn't support, like write a game that uses 8x16 sprites and I want to rewrite the path system to be something else, and write a game that uses a different mapper (these are just examples, not saying you can't do any of this in NESmaker), and there's so much stuff I want to customize that it's just easier to export the source code, delete anything I don't need and replace it with my own code.

So long as I've got a license that's paid for, and maybe I even give credit for the NESmaker code in the manual or something, that should be okay, right? Technically you're not doing anything too much different from what NESmaker already does, but it was just a question that was on my mind.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's reasonable to assume some level of code credit for anything not specifically created by the user somewhere. But I don't necessarily want to *compel* it. More just ask people to be cool about it. Purchasing the license gives access to the user to use those scripts to create NES games. I have no idea WHY anyone would create it in a non-NESmaker environment since so much of the code is written specifically to be used with the tool, but if there's a reason, go for it, I guess.

Top Bottom