Player won't move

dale_coop

Re: Player won't move

Post by dale_coop » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:01 am

Have you set the "Normal Max Speed" and the "Acceleration Speed" in your player's object details (in the "Details" tab)?
Have you set the bounding box (and don't forget to leave 1 pixel at the bottom if yoru game is a platformer)?
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
My son's game: KUBO 3
Jonny

Post by Jonny » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:51 pm

I have the same as MaverickHunterZero. I've done everything as above (following tutorual to the letter) for a platformer. If I press left player turns left and right if i press right key but no movement at all. Hud is set up, scripts etc. I'm using mesen emulator and I can't see any issues with that as its accepting the button presses, theres just no movment.

I tried messing about with actions, putting 0 to animation type 'walk' and 1 to 'stand' i.e wrong way around and now when i press L/R the player animation runs as I hold the direction then stops when I release. This seems odd as surely it shouldn't work like that? I changed it back to as it should be.

The only other thing I can think of is that my player is positioned off the ground as it would not spawn otherwise. Not sure if that could effect anything.

I've been messing about with the settings, re-doing everything etc but nothing. Just stands still no matter what I try!
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:04 pm

What module do you use?
In your screen, have you set gravity?

NESMaker Gravity.PNG
NESMaker Gravity.PNG (58.68 KiB) Viewed 721 times
-----
Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so mistakes are bound to happen.
Jonny

Post by Jonny » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:06 pm

dale_coop wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:01 am
Have you set the "Normal Max Speed" and the "Acceleration Speed" in your player's object details (in the "Details" tab)?
Have you set the bounding box (and don't forget to leave 1 pixel at the bottom if yoru game is a platformer)?
Sorry I just noticed this about leaving 1 pixel at the bottom.... I haven't tried that yet. Would that stop the player moving? I haven't heard that mentioned in any of the turorials ? How are users supposed to know these random things.
Jonny

Post by Jonny » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:09 pm

Dirk wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:04 pm
What module do you use?

NESMaker Gravity.PNG
As far as I remember I used the SimplePlatformer module. Is there a way to check that as I'm not completely sure. I started a couple of projects when I first started learning and I may have followed the tutorial exactly and selected BaseModule. I'm fairly sure I selected SimplePlatformer. I don't know how I could check.

Thank you, I'll look at what you've suggested and see if that works....
Jonny

Post by Jonny » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:31 pm

Dirk wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:04 pm
What module do you use?

NESMaker Gravity.PNG
Thank you so much for this! It was exactly what you said. I must have selected the basemodule or something. It works perfectly now
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:59 am

I'm glad it works now :-)

Regarding the 1 pixel thing... I tried it just now and not leaving a 1 pixel gap makes the player float 1 pixel above the ground.
The bounding box and collision detection can be a somewhat finicky thing. At the moment I have a problem with a tiny player character. He is 8 pixels tall so the bounding box is quite small. This can cause him to glitch through tiles when he falls from the top of the screen, because (I think) he gets to fast for the collision detection and the bounding box is too narrow. I can't (don't want to) make it bigger, because I would have empty, invisible sprites that still count towards the NES sprite budget.

Well, long story short ^^ the NES has a lot constraints, but as a positive side effect it forces us to get creative :-)
-----
Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so mistakes are bound to happen.