Music plays normally until switching to screen w/different song (pi_empty)

MistSonata

So, now that we've finally figured out what the problem was getting the music to import into NESmaker correctly, I'm running into another problem. The music plays fine on the title screen, and when it switches to the maingame state it plays the music just fine there as well.

But once I move the character to a screen that has a different music number than the one before, the music is suddenly very very slow. Even if I go back to the screen I first spawned on, it still plays slow. If you sit in the room for a bit, you can hear that it's playing the correct song for that area, it's just doing so in slow motion.

Here's a video of what exactly it's doing. (I know it sounds quiet in the beginning and then jumps up in volume, that's a mesen thing, not a music glitch)

I haven't messed with any of the music code (I don't think, anyway) so I don't know what code to show here. I'm currently combing through the pi_empty tutorials right now to see if there's anything about setting up the music that I missed...

dale_coop

Staff member
Watched the video, it’s very strange.
Did you try with another songs ? (Songs from the beta for ex)

MistSonata

I hadn't yet, but what I did do was copy a fresh version of NESmaker pi_empty and load the songs in it (along with a player and some very simple movement) and it doesn't seem to have the same problem. Which means that it's a problem on my end, unfortunately. I may need to start with a fresh NESmaker project again...

dale_coop

Staff member
ok yes, something may mess up with the music playing...
Hope you can make it work as you want :)

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Huh. Well I know you were having trouble with the music overall - the problem you WERE having has been fixed in the main release...I'm not sure if this is that same issue, but it may be related. I'll be watching for this though!

Mihoshi20

One weird issue I had/have with music is when you die and return to a checkpoint or the start of the game if you've not made it to a checkpoint, all music stops and doesn't return. Even when changing screens and all screens are set to play music. Sound effects still work but music won't play unless you lose all lives and the game resets or you press the reset button or power cycle. Not sure if the issue is related or not.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah I have the same problem with the death and checkpoint...
To temporaly "fix" this problem, I modified the "HandlePlayerDeath.asm" and commented the "StopSound" in the script.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I know what causes this problem. When a screen loads, it checks to see if it's the same song that's already playing...if so, it doesn't play. So my guess is it "stopped the song" at death, but when it jumped to a screen with the same song value as the one you were just on, it never initiated the play routine because it saw the same thing as if you transitioned between two screens with the same song.

I have to add a caveat to the engine for this...thanks! :)

Top Bottom