Game Test Troubleshooting (SOLVED)

PoloBlue

I've been trying to get my "game" working in FCEUX, but the only thing I'm getting right now is a grey screen. It's a step up from getting an error message for sure, but it still won't mean anything if I can't run anything in the emulator. My project settings are in the attached file. Is there something I'm missing? And if so, I'd love it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers,
-Polo

Attachments

• nesmaker troubleshoot.png
    nesmaker troubleshoot.png
    159.8 KB · Views: 3,124

dale_coop

Staff member
You have a grey screen, because it's might be showing you the Start Screen (try to set your palettes colors in the Special Screens>Start Screen), it will not be grey anymore ;)
You can skip the Start Screen : in the Project > Info, there is a check box for that.

Else if you want to keep the Start Screen, and make your game to start when you press a button (for example the START button) :
you could make a new StartButton_StartScreen.asm script (in your GameEngineData\Routines\UserScripts\) with :
Code:
StartButton_StartScreen:
	LDA #STATE_START_GAME
	STA change_state
	LDA #%10000000
	STA gameHandler ;; turn sprites on
    RTS

And call that script when "Start" button is pressed on "StartScreen", in the input manager.

PoloBlue

UPDATE: I'm back to square one with trying to get the emulator to run the game. The FCEUX error reads, "FDS BIOS ROM image missing: C:\Users\Caleb\Desktop\FCEUX\disksys.rom"
So I tried to go back to the barebones, default settings. A window will appear as if the game is trying to run, but this time there's only a black screen and nothing else. I even went into the Project Info and checked "Skip Start Screen," but I still got nothing.

dale_coop

Staff member
Black screen is ok, means your screen is loaded.
Did you make your player (and set it as « player » and « persistant »)
Did you set the HUD Area (2 rows min) and your Game Area ?

PoloBlue

I'm not sure what you mean by setting the game area. I thought that was just everything else that wasn't occupied by the HUD

dale_coop

Staff member
You have to set it, even if it should be the reste of the screen... by default it’s not set like that .
So in the HUD settings, you need to set both, the HUD Area and the Playing Area.

PoloBlue

Okay, that's all set, player settings too, but the black screen is still all I get when I try to run it.

dale_coop

Staff member
Check your HUD (need to be set: HUD Area minimum 2row and you need to set your Playable Area) and check your player object, needs to be set « player » and « persistent ».

RinRem01

I'm getting the same black screen. I've checked player and persistent, set HUD and playable area, and I can't figure it out. I keep going over Joe's videos to see if I'm missing anything, but no luck. I just know it's going to be one of those "duh" moments when I find out what it is.

PoloBlue

I think I found out what the issue was!

When I installed NESMaker initially, my Norton security was going ape over some files that were needed to properly assemble the game. I gave it the clear to let them stay on my computer and did everything else that was said here, and long story short, I have a working "game" now!

Thanks for all the extra advice, lads. Now I'm playing with power!

I'll post here before writing a new thread on it.

I'm having the same issue, I export, and only see a black screen.

HUD area is set, Play area is set, Skip Start Screen is checked. Not sure what other trouble shooting steps to take here.

PoloBlue

Have you gone into your player settings and checked "Player" and "Persistent"? Also try going under Project in the top-left corner of the screen and clicking "Import Project Module".

Player and persistent is checked. Module is loaded (wouldn't compile at all before that). And hud area is 3 rows. Rest is play area

EDIT: Figured it out. I was using an older version of FCEUX. Got the latest, and it launched up.

Double Edit: Also, make sure your Working folder is pointed to the Emulator folder, so it can actually find the ROM.

MistSonata

Gregg Richardson said:
Thanks, dale_coop. My start button work, what type of language is that? I might need to start to learning the code.

6502 Assembly. There's lots of links to good tutorials and such here: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=75

Top Bottom