NESMaker on Linux?

davidpgil

I am a Linux user who wants to get NESMaker working on Linux.

I noticed that if I open NESMaker.exe in Linux with Mono, the program opens, but I am unable to activate it. When I open the program in the terminal...

"""
$ mono NESMaker_4_0_0.exe
"""

... I see the following error...

"""
Unhandled Exception:
System.DllNotFoundException: DNA.dll
at (wrapper managed-to-native) softworkz.DNA:DNA_SetCDMPathName (string)
at MysticSearchesTool.MysticSearchToolMainDialog.VerifyDNACert () <0x41914b30 + 0x0004b> in <filename unknown>:0
at MysticSearchesTool.MysticSearchToolMainDialog..ctor () <0x418abcf0 + 0x003ab> in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) MysticSearchesTool.MysticSearchToolMainDialog:.ctor ()
at MysticSearchesTool.Program.Main () <0x41864d90 + 0x0002f> in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.DllNotFoundException: DNA.dll
at (wrapper managed-to-native) softworkz.DNA:DNA_SetCDMPathName (string)
at MysticSearchesTool.MysticSearchToolMainDialog.VerifyDNACert () <0x41914b30 + 0x0004b> in <filename unknown>:0
at MysticSearchesTool.MysticSearchToolMainDialog..ctor () <0x418abcf0 + 0x003ab> in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) MysticSearchesTool.MysticSearchToolMainDialog:.ctor ()
at MysticSearchesTool.Program.Main () <0x41864d90 + 0x0002f> in <filename unknown>:0
"""

My guess is that NESMaker just HAPPENS to work under Linux using Mono, but was not designed to.

Are there plans to get NESMaker working on Linux? My main computer is a Linux machine and would love to be able to do everything with Linux. I have Mesen and FamiTracker both on Linux, would be cool to be able to have NESMaker on Linux. It seems you guys are partially there.

dale_coop

Staff member
Oh nice your almost there...
If fact you have the same problem than 32bit WINDOWS users.
Seems that the dna.dll is a 64bit one...
but when a fix (new version) will arrive, you might succeed launching it on Linux!

davidpgil

dale_coop said:
Oh nice your almost there...
If fact you have the same problem than 32bit WINDOWS users.
Seems that the dna.dll is a 64bit one...
but when a fix (new version) will arrive, you might succeed launching it on Linux!

I'm currently on 64-bit Linux so I really don't know about that... DNA.dll is in the same folder, but it seems NESMaker just doesn't see it. :|

davidpgil

dale_coop said:
But I think mono only support 32bit exe/dll, doesn't it?

According to the Mono Project website [1] it should also support 64-bit.

"Mono has support for both 32 and 64 bit systems on a number of architectures as well as a number of operating systems."

[1] https://www.mono-project.com/docs/advanced/runtime/

JoeTennie

If you rename dna.dll to DNA.dll, you can get mono to open the program up until you need to activate the app. It crashes as it does a P/Invoke into DNA.dll.

davidpgil

JoeTennie said:
If you rename dna.dll to DNA.dll, you can get mono to open the program up until you need to activate the app. It crashes as it does a P/Invoke into DNA.dll.

I didn't rename anything and got the same result. I think it probably has nothing to do with the file name. :cry:

Top Bottom