A bunch of problems

when i compile my game, where exactly does the compiled .nes file is saved?
There is a game.nes in the /emulator folder, but it gives me a grey screen, and yes i did mark the "skip start screen" checkbox, in project info.
Also test > export does nothing, only export & and test compiles it.

How do i add a script in the input editor? i choose target Player1, but the script to run drop down menu is empty, and yes i did load the basic module.

How do i make the player character have 2 layered sprites? i want to have more than 3 colors, i made 2 sprites that i wanna layer on top of each other.

Are there any demo projects i can open up and look at how they are made?

dale_coop

Staff member
Please what the tutorials before start using NESMaker. It’s not a software that will make you a game without learn how tu use it.

The main tutorial:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=346
Else if you want to know more, you can find on Vimeo et YouTube (cf others topics on the TUTORIAL section of the forum)

i did watch all the youtube tutorials and Sorry but these video tutorials are really long and hard to follow because theres too much talking and going off on tangents and very little focus and actual informatio :C

it also doesnt help that the versions are different between videos and things are named differently and in different locations, also some stuff is missing, like the pixel editor, i only have a very basic draw tool with none of the options seen in the videos.

dale_coop

Staff member
More tutorial videos will arrive soon, step by step, you will understand more how to use NESMaker.

Currently, from the betas...
A lot of tutorial videos on YouTube, a lot of them are dedicated to player/monster/tiles/hud/... even pixel editor.
Here for example: https://youtu.be/j3AmTXfi3rU

Okay but what about things missing from the program, like for example in the video he created spikes and gave it a hurt tile type so the player gets damaged walking over it, his program had so many tile types in the drop down menu and my program has only a few of them and hurt is not one of them, or the input scripts.

dale_coop

Staff member
You mean « player death » type tile? You don’t have it on the tile editor?
Need to check that, I think it is because I made some tiles and some screens... and definitely made spikes too ;)

More infos and tutorials that explain everything from scratch for this version will come in some few days.
(When Joe will be back from Phoenix)

Until then, you can find that infos from the betas (old) videos. Those videos are a great help.

no i have player death, but i dotn have hurt, imput scripts are missing from the drop down menu

B0Q8pwD.png

MistSonata

You have to load scripts before they're available in the input editor. You have to load them in the "Scripts" area on the side, there before you can use them.

As for the hurt tile, it doesn't seem to be in the basic module at all, possibly because it needs to be reworked to fit the new system, since an awful lot of things were changed for this release. I'm sure once they release the Adventure module, it'll be a part of that.

The last export made with the program can be found in GameEngineData as game.nes. It will be overwritten every time you export and test, so keep that in mind if you want to keep a certain exported nes file around.

Sprite layering isn't supported yet, and probably won't be a thing for a little while. For now, I would plan on a three color limit, but you can use two separate palettes for a game object, just not one on top of another.

Managed to get my game running, now just need to figure out the control thing.

The directory \Routines\UserScripts\BasicScripts\InputScripts is empty, no input scripts inside it :C

Yes, thank you, my game now works, now just need to figure out what script i need to make the game start when i press start on the press start screen

dale_coop

Staff member
The movement scripts are in the "GameEngineData\Routines\UserScripts\BasicScripts\MovementScripts" folder.

Did you watch THE tutorial video that has been made with the launch of NESMaker on 8/8/2018? You need to, to have a good start using this version of NESMaker: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=346

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah, that video was a Facebook live video for the launch, a special event. But I think we can't make anything running without having watched it.

At what point in the video do they show what script to use for the start button to start the game on the press start screen btw?

Also, in the videos they talked about being able to compile the game to use mapper 2, how do i do this? (i wanna try my game on the everdrive)
Also thanks for all the help and putting up with me lol.

dale_coop

Staff member
Joe didn't explained that for this version, he even didn't provided the script "StartScreen_StartGame.asm" (as he did with the beta).
During the launch, he just skip the start screen: to do that, you have a checkbox in the Project info... "skip the start screen", if I remember well.
Checked, and your start will bypass the start screen and show you directly your player in the main screen.

Note that if you need that script (to assign it to your start button input), I can give it you.

MistSonata

It's probably best to disable the start screen like they did in the video, but if you still want to use it, I've found that this still works:

Code:
  StopSound
  ;PlaySound #$00, $00

LDA #STATE_START_GAME
  STA change_state

LDA #%10000000
  STA gameHandler ;; turn sprites on
  RTS

Just make a new ASM file, load it into NESmaker's scripts, and paste that into it. You should be able to go into input manager, set it to start screen, and have it use that script when you press start.

Compiling for mapper 2 is something that only Joe really knows how to do. Do you need to play it on an emulator that doesn't support mapper 30 or something?

Thank you for the script, no i wanna play it on my famiclone console using everdrive and in the videos he mentioned that everdrive doesnt support mapper 30 :C

Also one last question, which script handles melee?

Top Bottom