WARNING: If you make a Start Screen, you're screwed

Bucket Mouse

I made a simple Start Screen despite the fact that the tutorial never goes into it. I did them plenty of times in the beta.

Turns out they don't give you the coding to make the Start Screen work in this version, and also once you make a Start Screen, YOU CAN'T DELETE IT, SO YOU CAN'T RUN YOUR GAME. Running Export and Test will take you to the Start Screen, where you can't do anything.

You can't delete a lot of things. You can't un-import a script after you're already imported it, so it has to sit there taking up space even if you don't use it.

I tried pulling out the Start Screen code from the beta version and importing that. It takes you to the main screen, but bugs everything out.

TonyTheMaker

You need to use the start screen press start script and assign it in the inputs

StartButton_StartScreen:

LDA #STATE_START_GAME
STA change_state
LDA #%10000000
STA gameHandler ;; turn sprites on
RTS

Save this in your user scripts folder as StartButton_StartScreen.asm

Now go to the input editor and make sure everything is selected like in the pic and press add script.

startscreenscript.png

Bucket Mouse

Okay, it didn't work out that way.

When I applied the script and loaded the game, the player appeared. I moved up, the screen went black for a second, and when it came back he was higher, but a clone of him was in the original spot. The same thing happens each time I move him, until there's so much of that sprite onscreen the game crashes. Why?

If I load the game skipping the Start screen (what MistSonata suggested), the controls are normal.

Bucket Mouse

game-10.png

Every time, creates a clone.

Also: I have no idea what those two black boxes on the left are about, nor why the bottom of the screen is all black (it's not where my HUD is). Those two graphical glitches remain even if the Start Screen is off, and I have no idea what they're about. The only other time I went outside of convention was when I defined the text box area for the heck of it, but that function is currently deactivated in this build, so it can't be affecting anything.

TonyTheMaker

idk about the clones but for the black boxes make sure your hud is set to at least 2 blocks height.

edit: Is your player set to be the player?

playerdetails.png

MistSonata

Try replacing the movement scripts with the ones I posted here: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=390 see if that helps

Bucket Mouse

MistSonata said:
Try replacing the movement scripts with the ones I posted here: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=390 see if that helps

I actually already did that before anything else. Thanks for that topic.

The graphical glitches WERE because my HUD was one block tall. Once I increased its height, they all went away and it all worked perfectly. BUT...

Guess what? When I tried applying the Start Screen script again, the clone problem returned. It is definitely either that script, or possibly a bug within NESMaker itself because Start Screens aren't officially wired up yet.

dale_coop

Staff member
It makes clones because there are small mistakes in the StopMovingPlayerXxx scripts...
Need RTS at the end of each scripts.

There is a topic with all the script movements fixed
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=390

After that you will not have the pbm anymore ;)

Top Bottom