Few questions

darkhog

I'm getting it tomorrow so I got few questions:

1. How can I advance custom/special screen after few seconds, to make an intro?
2. How to do animated tiles?
3. How to do tiles like bushes in Zelda which replace a tile with another when they're cut with player's weapon and may leave an item behind.
4. How to handle random values since NES doesn't have an internal clock (seeding issue).

Bucket Mouse

Numbers 1 and 2 aren't set up by the creators yet. NESMaker is still a work in progress.

It might be possible to do 3 and 4 in the current build, but I wouldn't know how. There is a random number generator macro; perhaps something can be done with it.

darkhog

Thanks! I've figured how to solve the #1 - I'll probably install a custom hook in the NMI that would increase certain variable every frame and in the code that opens a specific screen I'd reset that variable (I think a 8bit one would be enough) to 0, then in a second NMI hook I'd check current screen and based on that change it after the variable gets to specific value (say, 120 or 170 frames).

Bucket Mouse

darkhog said:
Thanks! I've figured how to solve the #1 - I'll probably install a custom hook in the NMI that would increase certain variable every frame and in the code that opens a specific screen I'd reset that variable (I think a 8bit one would be enough) to 0, then in a second NMI hook I'd check current screen and based on that change it after the variable gets to specific value (say, 120 or 170 frames).

Wow. Um.....have you visited this topic yet?
http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=264
You may be able to shed light on a BIG dilemma I've been facing....

darkhog

I probably will be able to, but first I have to get my hands on the software and that doesn't happen until tomorrow. When I'll figure out how to install custom NMI hooks in a non-messy way, I'll let you know. Also, keep in mind that NMI only has a certain amount to run before screen has to be drawn again, if you overstep that amount, the game won't run on a real hardware (would still run on certain emulators though, so if you're okay making game that can only be emulated, then I guess it would be alright).

Top Bottom