Version Control and Collaboration

Melatonin

Hey nesmakers!

I'm working on porting a game that a friend and myself made years ago in school to NES and had a question regarding product management best practices.

What kind of version control / source control have people been using? Just GIT checkins? Also, is there any best practices people have come up with when working on a product with more than one person? I'm going to handle engineering and audio while he handles art assets, so he could theoretically just send me the raw PNGs and I can put them together, but ideally there'd be a way for us to both work in the project and not suffer from merging conflicts and the like.

Thoughts?

cornphillips

Hi. VCS expert here.
I advise signing up to gitlab for a free account and free private repo.
There will be some ramp up to learning how to use a vcs, but yes essentially the way it works is there is an origin server hosted by gitlab that you can "git clone" or otherwise check out, make local changes, commit those changes, and push them to the server.

To save you some time, here are the most important commands but you can always type git help

git clone _____
git add _____
git commit -m "your commit message"
git push

and there are a variety of commands to reset your local copy, branch, merge branches, etc

but to keep it simple, just have your most technically skilled person use git to do the VCS, and don't do anything fancy, just check in to master the most important stuff.
I am already doing this, and
you should use the .gitignore file to ignore all the random ass folders and files that nesmaker comes with, but nothing bad will happen if you commit that shit too

If you want to commit everything all at once you can cd to the root of your directory and run

git add .
git commit -m "message"
git push

and boom it's on your origin server, visible on gitlab.

I'd also suggest as a newbie, to use http protocol when checking out your code.

__
That said, if all this sounds too complicated there are other more antiquaited VCS like Subversion with TortoiseSVN that will accomplish this workflow.

My goal is to find all the good code snippets and put them on github for all to enjoy.

Cheers!

Top Bottom