How many palettes in a game?

Hello!

How many palettes can you use in a whole game? Are you limited to 4 palettes per game or 4 palettes per screen with 1 palette being used for the player graphics?
I haven't bought a NESmaker yet so I can't try it out myself. I just wanted to get started making some assets and sprites in the meantime.
Thank you!

stevenshepherd

2 player palettes, 2 monster palettes, and 4 screen tile palettes. I forget the exact number but you can have a ton of palette combinations for your game

stevenshepherd

to clarify, the two player palettes are constant throughout the game. the 2 monster palettes are per screen. The 3 screen tile palettes are per screen. One of those tile palettes (#4) is also used for the HUD.

chronosv2

You can actually have plenty more total palettes. You can have 64 combinations of 4 palettes (remembering that 1 of those is tied to the HUD, but if you don't mind your HUD changing colors you could use it too!). Once we find out more on using the Night-time state in the engine that number doubles to 128 combinations.

chronosv2

Glad to help! That should give you an idea of what all you can do.
Just have to remember that you can have only one palette set per screen, and you can't use day and night palettes together. They count as separate "screen states" that don't coexist in the same space.

stevenshepherd

Re: hud using the 4th palette. I just made my hud 2 colours: transparent (black) and a really light brown/beige. Those are colours i would often need anyway, and frees up the other 2 colours in 4th palette to vary by screen. Mind you, i am not making a platformwr where you might want a life bar, hearts, magic, weapon etc.

Top Bottom