Drawing Women/Females

SeaFoodAndButter

So, I have been working on learning pixel art for the last 3 months and I have gotten much better. However, I overlooked how to draw females! There are 5 female characters I need to draw for my game. So, I'm starting with the 2 most important ones: My character's sister and mother.

So, I am working on the sister first. I would prefer if she is 16x24 (the same size as my main character), but I suppose I could use a 24x32 sprite too. Anyways,

...here is the conception I am looking for (minus the shield and spear). I want a sprite that looks like a young girl/sister and a white toga. I know we are dealing with 8 bit/pixel art, so these are simply conceptional ideas. I just need some help drawing an npc that looks like a woman and not a man or some superhero!

Sister.PNG
Sister2.PNG

Gazimaluke

I used a sideview perspective. I don't know what view point your game has. This was just a quick draft.

Attachments

• woman.gif
    woman.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 6,344

SeaFoodAndButter

Gazimaluke said:
I used a sideview perspective. I don't know what view point your game has. This was just a quick draft.

That is actually really good. Do you mind if I use this? Of Course I will add you in credits.

Gazimaluke

SeaFoodAndButter said:
Gazimaluke said:

That is actually really good. Do you mind if I use this? Of Course I will add you in credits.

Yes of course. I added some details.

Attachments

• woman.gif
    woman.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 6,336
  • woman2.gif
    woman2.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 6,319
  • woman3.gif
    woman3.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 6,319

stevenshepherd

Given the limited number of pixels afforded by the nes, one has to rely on various cues and heuristics. My guess is that long hair, hips/waist, and long dress would help communicate her gender. In my survivial horror demo the character is a woman with short hair, but she is also red/pink.

This brings up the broader issue of how to communicate gender, race, etc with limited pixels and without relying on stereotypes. It's an intetesting issue

Glitcholog

I can suggest you to take a look at the character design on Mighty Final fight or Psychic World for the Sega Game Gear, they both feature nice sprite for the characters.

SeaFoodAndButter

Gazimaluke said:
SeaFoodAndButter said:
Gazimaluke said:

Yes of course. I added some details.

Thank you my friend. So, I took what you had and made a few tweaks. I added animation and I like it. I thank you for your help. Here is a still...I also added animation to her and I will be showcasing it in a future upload on my YT accountSisterFNL.PNG

iridium_ionizer

I would suggest tweaking some of the sister's pixels near her chin/neck. I know that it's probably supposed to be a neck that is abstracted, but to me it just seems like a really big chin. It looks great on the mom.

Top Bottom