Can we use that extra path tile?

MistSonata

Been messing around with the path system, seeing if I could make something of an isometric field or something, I got something really good going but when I tried to outline the squares...

P1cwZYB.png

So that got me thinking... that unused tile at the end of the path tilesheet. Are we using that for anything? CAN we use that for something? The pathing system is pretty much fucking black magic to me, so I have no idea if that unused tile is there because it needs to remain unused or because no one could find a use for it.

If it turns out it COULD be used for something, though, may I propose that it be used a second "middle" tile? I don't know how possible that would be, but I would love to have the option to use it as left and right, or upper and lower tiles, or staggered like so...

38bHiMJ.png

It'd be amazing if we could choose between these as an option in the paths screen, but I'd be thrilled if we could do even one of these.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
We’ve thought of about 10 uses for that last tile. We just haven’t settled on it. That was one haha

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Just so you know, this input shaped the way we use the paths.

While we have a bit more testing to do, essentially, if you have a "FULL" 16x16 metatile area made of a path, instead of it being:

Code:
00 - 00
00 - 00

it is now:

Code:
00 - 0F
0F - 00

This makes use of that unused 8x8 path tile to give a little more versatility and less recursion to the paths, and also SHOULD allow for things like what you're showing below. As of right now, this is NOT reflected in the tool yet (and not sure if the tool will respect it in this next version), but should reflect in the actual output naturally.

Thanks for the suggestion, and sort of pushing our decision on this in a direction :)

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the new path editor. You can see how the x0 and xF graphics are placed (the first and last tile in a path group) in the staggered manner. :)

Attachments

• perfect.png
    perfect.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 2,404

MistSonata

That's awesome! I'm thrilled to hear it :)

While I have your attention here, I was wondering if I could slip just one more suggestion in. This has more to do with convenience than anything, but the way the tiles are laid out, the top and bottom edge tiles are next to the corners, but they're in reverse order to how they appear next to those corner pieces. This caused me confusion at first because I was trying to make some interesting shaped paths.

46jCxnD.png

If you switched the places of these two tiles, it would appear in the order it does in-engine. I know why it was made that way in the first place, but switching them would be more intuitive for the user.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's not a horrible idea...i treated these as segments...corner, then two mids, then corner. But I see what you mean, since your example is always how they'll 'flow'. I'll think about it...not difficult for me, i don't think, but not sure how hard it would be in the tool to change.

Mihoshi20

TheNew8bitHeroes said:
Here's the new path editor. You can see how the x0 and xF graphics are placed (the first and last tile in a path group) in the staggered manner. :)

I like this, I like this a lot as it comes fairly close to how RPG Maker handles auto-tiles.

Top Bottom