Tutorial Issue

JamesD

I am following the NESmaker Beta1 tutorial on YouTube and have run in to some issues. (They aren't about how things are different now as I caught all of that and changed appropriately, I believe.)

I have created a screen on the map in the Overworld following what was done in the tutorial. However, when I build and test the game, the palette that is used to draw the screen is the fourth palette, not the first and second even though they are set correctly in the tool. The screen even displays correctly in the tool, but not in game. Secondly, the graphics are a bit messed up in game. There are lines of errant pixels seen in the image even though they do not appear in the editor. The screen looks like this:

BadScreen.png

Finally, as you can see, the player sprite is also not drawn. I did set up the HUD as explained in the Update video for 3.14 (as evidenced by the two rows of black at the bottom), but perhaps something else changed? The player is set up as a game object, I have set the position on the screen, and I have defined all of the animations. I have even set up the scripts (although they are different than in the tutorial), but I cannot tell if they are working or not as the sprite is not rendered. I have used fceux to look at the PPU data and the sprite data is there, just not drawn. FYI, the sprite should be rendered where the bottom black square shows up.

Are there any example projects that could be downloaded so that we can see how some of these things are set up instead of watching a bunch of tutorial videos?

JamesD

Okay, fixed the color and errant pixels issue. I thought I had created a two row HUD, but it was actually only one. Once I made it two rows, the colors worked correctly.

However, the player sprite still does not render.

dale_coop

Staff member
For the player non visible, verify that your player object is "player" and "PERSISTANT".

JamesD

Thanks Dale, that is fixed, but now there is another problem. Every time I enter a screen with a path on it, I get a black screen, and the nametable is not updated in the PPU. For example, if I set the player's start screen to a screen with a path and press start, the nametable stays as the one for the start screen. The game also apparently freezes at this point. As a likely related issue, if I expand the "Path Info" node under "Graphics Bank 1" and click on the path (called "DirtPath"), I get an exception that says "Sequence contains no elements". This was working before as can be seen in the previous screenshot that has a path, so I am not sure what happened unless it is a save and reload bug?

dale_coop

Staff member
I didn't try the path in the new version (I used it on the beta, was working well).
I will make some tests tonight and see if I have the same pbm.

dale_coop

Staff member
Could you share some screenshots of your "PathTiles00.bmp" in pixel editor, your path "Path info", and your Screen Info ?

JamesD

PathTiles00.bmp (Converted to png so I can attach it): It is just the one from the BetaAssets folder recolored.

PathTiles00.png

In Pixel Editor:

PixelEditor-Path.png

Path Info:

PathInfo.png

Screen Info:

ScreenInfo.png

You may note that there are two "DirtPath" items listed under the Path Info node. The problem existed before the second one was added, and I can't find how to remove them. I am not sure what "Screen Flag 1" and "Screen Flag 2" do, but they are also set on the other two screens that work.

Attachments

• PathInfo.png
    PathInfo.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,843
  • PixelEditor-Path.png
    PixelEditor-Path.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 2,843
  • ScreenInfo.png
    ScreenInfo.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 2,843

dale_coop

Staff member
Could be related to the problem of 2 “dirt path” paths.
Could you delete one of them?
And check again that the path is still assigned to your different screens?

JamesD

I am assuming that to delete one of them, I right-click on it in the tree? But when I do that, I get the exception and no option to delete. There is no path assigned on my other two screens that work. Is that the problem?

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah I think this Is the problem. Did you try to close NESMaker and open again your project? To see if there still the problem?

JamesD

I did many times, especially after getting the exception.

I have it working now, although I still have two DirtPaths. What I did was erase the screen from the overworld and recreate it. It works now, even with the path on it.

JamesD

Just figured out what caused the issue with the screens not working as I was just able to reproduce it. If I right-click in the screen and select "Reset all placements" then the game will hang when it gets to that screen. It does this even on a screen where you have placed no paths or monsters.

JamesD

Also, just watched the Facebook video from last night, and Joe had the same problem with the path giving an exception when it was selected, so I think it is probably a bug.

dale_coop

Staff member
Ok,... yes the "Reset all placements" might still be not functioning well (it was broken in the beta, I didn't check in the release version, if it was fixed).

If you want to remove some monster, you need to do a right-click and choose "Edit monster placement details", then you "disable" the monsters you don't want on the screen.

There still are some bugs (not fixed yet) in the NESMaker tool. But there will be fixed in a next versions... NESMaker is very young. And the dev team is very small ;)

Top Bottom