Resource Sharing

WolfMerrik

NESMakerFiles.com is now online.

You can browse by Categories: https://www.nesmakerfiles.com/categories
OR by Tags: https://www.nesmakerfiles.com/tags

There is a lot of work to be done on it, but it is coming along.
I will use this post to take suggestions, comments, etc.

Please feel free to add content, the more the better, I have already begun adding some of what I have laying around, and will keep doing so.
Downloading is open to all without registration.

Current Todo:
  • Add Files to "Groups" or Packs
  • Projects Page's (this will be used for files that will be updated, like a user created ROM)
  • Ability to follow Projects
  • Better Menus
  • Other UI Fixes

I am definitely open to suggestions, so please comment

Bucket Mouse

A module section. We're a ways off from anyone having the capability or the experience to make one, but 8Bit has said they went with the module system in hopes people would create their own.

And a section with plug-in ASM code, with instructions on how to use it...kinda like Github.

Mihoshi20

WolfMerrik said:
Not so much of a suggestion, as an offering to the community. What would you think about a site to share resources for NESMaker? Sort them by category (ASM, GFX, FTI, etc) and allow users to download them and rate, comment on them, etc.

I had made a site like this a while back for sharing audio files, and I still have most of the framework, and can probably get a rough version of it up in a few days if this is something people are interested in. I could easily break it down into sections/subsections of code, projects, user-created roms, graphics (both in RGB bitmap, or otherwise), FamiTracker instruments, etc. I guess where the "suggestions" part comes in is; what would you like to see on a site like this; if you would use it at all.

So, please, tell me what you think/would want!

Wolf

There's been a bit of talk like this before but in the opposing direction, of a site for posting and sharing the games made with NESmaker. I like your idea a lot though as I mentioned something akin to say Romhacking.net or smwcentral. Though really with the proper sections added this forum could and does have sections to post tilesets and code snippets already in place and the music/composer sections could always have famitracker export files posted.

WolfMerrik

I did add a section for roms as well, so users can share their creations, as well as comment/rank/etc.

I do agree that having a forum section is a great idea, and there are some for sharing files already, but with this, we can have files be tagged, sorted more verbose (not just by ASM, but by enemy AI script, etc). I mean I have loads of FamiTracker instruments on my computer, sharing those a few at a time, or in a zip file would be great for people, but what if you were looking for a specific thing? a search on the site could really help for prototyping, as well as "shopping" for resources to polish your game off.

I mean it isn't a huge amount of work, and I already have the category structure, a way to add categories, and an account registration/login added. The fun part is making it not look like crap, as I am TERRIBLE with CSS =P

WolfMerrik

Bucket Mouse said:
A module section. We're a ways off from anyone having the capability or the experience to make one, but 8Bit has said they went with the module system in hopes people would create their own.

And a section with plug-in ASM code, with instructions on how to use it...kinda like Github.

That was one of the first things I thought about, in lieu of having the ASM be well commented (which I hope it will be) I also added a text section for description/instructions, as well as credits (so users can specify attribution etc)

darkhog

I think something like Unity Asset Store where people could share their ASM scripts or art/music would be great. Probably Joe and co don't have resources to make one, but it would be nice (though with things like mod.io existing, who knows?)

WolfMerrik

functionalform said:
well if someone's willing to assemble and maintain a site for it, i do have an unlimited size webspace for use.

I already have it hosted, and most of the site coded, but thank you for the offer!

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to try and flesh this place out a little more when I have time. I like the idea of having a central location for everything.

WolfMerrik

RadJunk said:
I'm going to try and flesh this place out a little more when I have time. I like the idea of having a central location for everything.

Absolutely, having everything in one location is always ideal

WolfMerrik

Well, if interested, I did create page, and although not even close to 100% complete, the ability to post/comment/tag/rate/etc files is complete here:

https://www.nesmakerfiles.com/

I still have a lot to do, and only just started adding files, but hopefully, I can do more on it tomorrow. Not bad for a nights work though

erockbrox

Yes, I 100% agree that we should share resources. This way we are all helping each other out making our games. Sure you can do a paid version, but free means that everyone wins because they have easy access to it.

I like the layout at supermarioworld central. They have a section for blocks, sprites, music, tools and so on. It is really easy to search there to find stuff and resources. Also while sharing your roms is fine, there should also be a way to share a demo with a link to your own website so that people can buy your game if people are selling it in a digital form or physical form.

I really appreciate all of the work that has gone into this site as well as the effort going into making assets easy to share between us users. Thanks.

I find it a little odd that you have to register just to download stuff though. I could see why you need to register to upload, but shouldn't anyone be able to download.

WolfMerrik

erockbrox said:
Yes, I 100% agree that we should share resources. This way we are all helping each other out making our games. Sure you can do a paid version, but free means that everyone wins because they have easy access to it.

I like the layout at supermarioworld central. They have a section for blocks, sprites, music, tools and so on. It is really easy to search there to find stuff and resources. Also while sharing your roms is fine, there should also be a way to share a demo with a link to your own website so that people can buy your game if people are selling it in a digital form or physical form.

I really appreciate all of the work that has gone into this site as well as the effort going into making assets easy to share between us users. Thanks.

I find it a little odd that you have to register just to download stuff though. I could see why you need to register to upload, but shouldn't anyone be able to download.

I can definitely add sections/variables, to certain types, or even just allow users to specify additional information.
Like you said, having links to roms that then link to their sites, buy links, etc. I think that is an awesome idea.
And the biggest reason I made it so you need to register to download files is to encourage people to contribute to the files library rather than just download them all. A lot of file sharing sites (freesound comes to mind) require registration to download.

There is definitely a ways to go, I am making a "preview" option for files as well: ex: https://www.nesmakerfiles.com/resource/fti_dpcm_gimmick_bass/

So adding new elements, particularly those link "links", or official sites should be pretty easy to do as well

Top Bottom