Recommend Mesen over FCEUX

darkhog

Mesen:
- Emulates NES just as if it was played on a real hardware
- Has even better debugger (including symbol debugging)
- Full support for Mapper30 (even better than in case of FCEUX
- Has better video filtering, including a CRT filter with several presets (S-Video, Composite, RGB).
- Has overall better feel to it, more polish.

dale_coop

Staff member
Thanks for the advice. I know Mesen from name, br never tried it myself. Will give a try tonight

Kasumi

I'll second Mesen. Mesen is really good, and gets features very quickly after they're requested. If there is anything left that FCEUX does that Mesen doesn't, just telling Mesen's developer will usually get it in.

LAZARUS

I also prefer Messen.It has advanced options very interressante.And in the graphical settings,it is possible to have a RGB very close to the original.
Me personally I use it with a screen crt, so no need to use filters.

Oh wow, thank you! I was having a problem with the bottom half of the bottom row of tiles being cut off while testing my game. I thought it might be problem with NesMaker but it was actually FCEUX. in Mesen I can see the full screen with no cut off tiles.

dale_coop

Staff member
The half of the bottom (and the top) is normal, you might have the same when you will play a NES on a crt TV. There's always overscan (and that changes from one tv to another)

darkhog

dale_coop said:
The half of the bottom (and the top) is normal, you might have the same when you will play a NES on a crt TV. There's always overscan (and that changes from one tv to another)

Not always. The Royal-Lux tube I had (mom worked in factory so we got it as a freebie after our Sony was stolen) didn't have any overscan whatsoever. To the point I've used to wonder why devs never used the top row when I've played multicarts on my famiclone as a kid (Funstation, looked like original PSX, but had a famicom cartridge port where the CDs would normally go).

Kasumi

For what it's worth, you can totally configure FCEUX to not hide that stuff. Config, video, in Drawing area type First line: 0 for NTSC and PAL, and type Last Line: 239.

Top Bottom