Questions about engine and Four Score

TheNopeTrain

I want to make a Smash Bros. NES game, and I have a few questions. Would it be possible to use the NES four-score, and what would be the best style/engine to base it off of? I kind of imagine a platform-fighting engine, but would that be possible to make? Thanks in advance.

TheNopeTrain

Joe_Cracker said:
For that you need to wait until the fighting engine module is ready so far we got adventure and platform

Is there any information as to when the fighting engine module is coming out?

MistSonata

TheNopeTrain said:
Joe_Cracker said:
For that you need to wait until the fighting engine module is ready so far we got adventure and platform

There's no fighting game module planned. The closest thing is the "brawler" module, which is for beat-em-up games like Double Dragon, which is probably much closer to what you're looking for. A smash bros-like game is probably also going to be super complicated, so you've got your work cut out for you. I'd recommend learning 6502 assembly if you haven't started already.

TheNopeTrain

MistSonata said:
TheNopeTrain said:
Joe_Cracker said:

There's no fighting game module planned. The closest thing is the "brawler" module, which is for beat-em-up games like Double Dragon, which is probably much closer to what you're looking for. A smash bros-like game is probably also going to be super complicated, so you've got your work cut out for you. I'd recommend learning 6502 assembly if you haven't started already.

Alright! Thanks!

Joe_Cracker

MistSonata said:
TheNopeTrain said:
Joe_Cracker said:

That sounds pretty surprising. We already have FPGA NES clones with 4 score support built in. Can 6502 assembly be used in concert with a game made in NES Maker?

MistSonata

Joe_Cracker said:
That sounds pretty surprising. We already have FPGA NES clones with 4 score support built in. Can 6502 assembly be used in concert with a game made in NES Maker?

Not sure what you're asking. 6502 assembly is the language that NES games are written in, NESmaker source code included.

Joe_Cracker

MistSonata said:
Joe_Cracker said:

Not sure what you're asking. 6502 assembly is the language that NES games are written in, NESmaker source code included.

A 6502 assembly window in it would make it to where experienced homebrew designers could use it and not fully rely on typing everything over and over again. I've looked at NES Maker, and I don't see so far a way currently to do it. We may have to to wait until like 5.0

MistSonata

Joe_Cracker said:
MistSonata said:
Joe_Cracker said:

A 6502 assembly window in it would make it to where experienced homebrew designers could use it and not fully rely on typing everything over and over again. I've looked at NES Maker, and I don't see so far a way currently to do it. We may have to to wait until like 5.0

The NESmaker game source code (not the NESmaker tool itself) is already fully editable. The code is sectioned off into separate files, but it's all there and you can open each one in Notepad++ and edit it.

Joe_Cracker

MistSonata said:
Joe_Cracker said:
MistSonata said:

The NESmaker game source code (not the NESmaker tool itself) is already fully editable. The code is sectioned off into separate files, but it's all there and you can open each one in Notepad++ and edit it.

That's one way to do it. If 4 score ain't supported by the time brawler module is ready then that would be your only way in. Someone might be working on a 4 score script right now.

MrElephant

@Joe On every forum I've been on-this question/game always cones up. Before you get started on the project please consider the amount of time this will take you, and the compatibility of the brawler module in regards to a game like Smash Bros. Note: The brawler module isn't even out yet, so it's hard to say what it will be capable of. I'm not saying it's not possible, but 95% of these projects aren't finished, and then your left with nothing.

Top Bottom