2 computers one game

zeos101

Is it possible to work on the same game on 2 different PC's?

What all folders should I put on the cloud to make sure there are minimal issues between the 2 computers?

Thoughts suggestions?

Thank you

Mike

zeos101

That makes sense I just have a home and work PC would I would like to bounce back and forth from :)

Just need to know all the files I need to transfer back and forth

dale_coop

Staff member
I think you would need
- the NESMaker\GameEngineData\ folder
- the NESMaker\GraphicAssets\ folder
- and your NESMaker\Projects\ folder if your projects are saved there.

zeos101

Good deal I work 2nd shift I'll try tonight and report back. Just good to know as a pc can fail at any time

Just a quick info in case you didn't know. You get two licences. If one of your PC fails you can contact support so one licence spot gets freed up again for usage on a replacement PC.

5kids2feed

Just wondering if this actually worked?? I have NESMaker setup on my work computer and my home laptop and I wanted to be able to work on a single project from both computers.

Has anybody here actually done this before?

Jonny

I've done it by putting everything on Google Drive.

It worked ok but you have to make sure everything is fully synced on Google Drive (or other cloud) or you'll get errors when compiling.

Or you could put it on a local network if you know how to do that. Then you don't have to have 2 copies of everything or have to remember to update.

dale_coop

Staff member
You could use GitHub or SVN to sync the sources.
Yeah, I guess google drive or dropbox could be an alternative...
Important files to share:
- GraphicAssets folder (containing all the gfx of your project)
- GameEngineData folder (containing all the scripts used by project)
- Projects folder (containing you project .MST file)
(All the other files don't really need to be synced, they are created temporarily in order to build the NES file)

Jonny

(All the other files don't really need to be synced, they are created temporarily in order to build the NES file)

With this in mind, you could have the whole NesMaker folder on cloud, then tell it which files you don't want to sync. i.e everything other than what Dale mentions above. That should work pretty nicely. I think I only had problems when I was halfway thought syncing files I didn't need to be.

dale_coop

Staff member
But when working with several people on a NESmaker project, there is still the problem of binary files (such as the images in the GraphicAssets folder or the project .MST file itself). Indeed, the modifications made to these files cannot be merged (when modified at the same time by several people). Usually in this case, the last one to have saved (synchronized) will win.

For those files, I suggest to make tell the other people when you will work on them / modify them and tell when you finished ;)
Then everyone can sync to update the files.

Top Bottom