Adventure Module Scrolling

zeos101

I have noticed that in this video the new scrolling functions is not used. Is this just an issue of stress on the NES CPU?

If not is this an option or is it just not advised?

Thank you

dale_coop

Staff member
Currently only 1 direction horizontal scrolling is working. So platformer like Supee Mario 1 is ok... two directions (right and left scrolling) has still some issues.
Vertical scrolling is not implemented.
So an adventure game with only 1 scrolling direction (maybe 2) would not be very interesting ;)

CutterCross

dale_coop said:
Currently only 1 direction horizontal scrolling is working. So platformer like Supee Mario 1 is ok... two directions (right and left scrolling) has still some issues.
Vertical scrolling is not implemented.
So an adventure game with only 1 scrolling direction (maybe 2) would not be very interesting ;)

Well, there goes my idea for a 2-directional scrolling adventure game...

dale_coop

Staff member
So it's more a platformer than a real adventure game ;)
But as said, the 2 ways (left-right) scrolling has issues, take a look at Mugi's interesting post : http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=10250#p10250

CutterCross

I was actually planning my 2-directional scrolling idea for a later project, for when NESmaker supports more features. It's not for my next game, I have my own plans for that ;)

Mugi

the way im currently planning to do mine is so that it works as a room-by-room game, but propably utilizes limited amounts of 1-directional scrolling on some parts. That way i can update it to bi-directional scroll later on and not waste time waiting for the scroll to happen. I have plans to abuse the scroll in a few ways to make some pretty neat "special" things. (im looking at you parallax-scrolling stage selection screen.) I have so much to do with everything in the game that the scroll is really the least of my issues. Havent even gotten all the movement and physics done yet :p

I started developing Dimension Drive fully aware that the game will take a long time to complete, and i will enjoy every single bit of it, while i improve upon my ideas and watch the game grow along with my assembly skills.
The whole mentality of "just do something simple and practice using the code and the software" does work, but it's just not something im into.

dale_coop

Staff member
Nice plan...
Me too, I think I will stay on a screen by screen game and have sometimes scrolling right for special phases/scenes.

Top Bottom