Question about Palettes

Jalepeno

Hi all. Perhaps someone can tell me more about palettes.

a) Why are palettes presented in groups of 4? For example, as you can see, Palette Groups 0-3 as shown below.

b) A 'new' palette group of 4 appears to have three 'gray' palettes, and Palette Group 3 comes pre-configured with Black, Navy, Maroon, and White.
What is the benefit of this group, and these colors?

c) How does the program know when/if to use one of the palette colors as a 'clear' color?

d) I seem to be able to color some assets or backgrounds using the palette I want. But it seems to only apply "Palette Group 0", and I can't seem to double-click or apply the other palette groups to my work. It seems like I'm missing something easy. Once I've applied a palette group to, for example, an Overworld section, I don't know how to change it.

Thanks for looking!
Al

palette.jpg

dale_coop

Staff member
Have you watched the tutorial videos from www.thenew8bitheroes.com ? I think all your answers are there... (the "let's started" first).
Each palette is split in 4 screen palettes: 1 for day, 1 for night, 1 for day triggered and 1 for night triggered.
Each screen palette is composed of 4 subpalettes of 3 colors +1color for the background/transparent (the color #0 = the first color of the subpalette. Always the same for all the palettes).
To each screen you will assign a Palette. Depending of the state of the screen (day, day triggered, night, night triggered), it will not render the same screen palette ;)

And for monsters/player/Game objects... you will use the "monster palettes" (which are subpalettes of 3 + 1 color)

Jalepeno

Thank you, Special Agent Dale.
Yes, I have watched several videos, but I am re-watching now for clarification. Perhaps I missed the 'triggered' info.

I do see a palette for DAY, and a palette for NIGHT.
I do see, on the OVERWORLD menu, where to pick a Night/Day palette. And I also see a pull-down for DAY/DAY TRIGGERED/NIGHT/NIGHT TRIGGERED.

Let's say I would like to pick SUB PALETTE 2 of my DAY palette. It does not change colors for me. It only changes to the colors of DAY SUB 1 or NIGHT SUB 1. I do not know how to pick another SUB color palette.

And I still do not know why SUB 4 is the same on every palette: Black, Navy, Maroon and White. What is the significance? Can I change it?

pal1.jpg

dale_coop

Staff member
Yep, currently, in this version... Only DAY is implemented (I mean work), the NIGHT is not used.
Day Triggered is when a screen is "triggered", when a key is taken, when a boss is beaten, when an NPC nice an item (or trigger the screen)

PS: on some old videos, Joe talk longer about Day and Day Triggered... (and night, If you played to Mystic Origins, the prequel of Mystic Searches, made by Joe, it uses cycles of days and nights, so you might have an idea of what's will be possible)

Top Bottom