What is legal status of Shiru's emulator (the default one)?

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Hey gave us expressed permission to use it specifically for the tool, but not beyond that.

For games to be distributed on Steam, I would try and find a virtual machine type solution to be able to run the ROM.

darkhog said:
E.g. if I wanted to put my game on Steam, could I embed it within it legally?

This is a good question, and unfortunately, I don't quite understand what a "virtual machine type solution" is. If anyone else could chime in, especially people who actually posted their game on Steam, like the people who made "Lizard" or the "HAUNTED: Halloween" series, that would be greatly appreciated.

vrbandwagon said:
This is a good question, and unfortunately, I don't quite understand what a "virtual machine type solution" is. If anyone else could chime in, especially people who actually posted their game on Steam, like the people who made "Lizard" or the "HAUNTED: Halloween" series, that would be greatly appreciated.

Lizard and Haunted Halloween were remade in Unity (not emulation). If you want an emulator/vm that should be legal to use it'll be this by GradualGames https://github.com/gradualgames/ggvm

UltraNarwhal said:
vrbandwagon said:

Lizard and Haunted Halloween were remade in Unity (not emulation). If you want an emulator/vm that should be legal to use it'll be this by GradualGames https://github.com/gradualgames/ggvm

Great! Thanks for the info!

Shodanbot

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you could package it with FCUEX for sale on Steam. AFAI, the GPLv2 doesn't restrict the developer from packaging GPLv2 software with Steam DRM, your copyright/left game, or a closed source GUI launcher for FCUEX. So long as none of your copyright code ends up in the GPLv2 code and you release the source of the GPLv2 protected code, I think you'd be fine.

I could be mistaken.

darkhog

While technically it may be legal, I don't want to be an a-hole and do something against dev's wishes. You don't get far in business by being an a-hole when you don't have to.

Shodanbot

darkhog said:

That's only if I'm correct. I'm not a tech lawyer and have a layman's understanding of software licences.

Further, I have no desire to publish a game at all because I'm more of an old Hammer/DromEd hobbyist type of fellow, but if I was and I had something I would feel comfortable selling I wouldn't package it with GPLv2 software without getting the developer's blessing. I'd be legally within their licence (so long as I comply with it) but without the developer's approval, then the decision to include it would be against my conscience.

For the less morally inclined, the a-holes in business, the option is there if it's legal.

Top Bottom