NESMaker on Chrome OS

matthew954

I just found a way to use my copy of NESMaker on my Acer 15" Chromebook. I can remotely access my windows PC from my Chromebook. Though not a perfect solution, but it works. The only real drawback is that my Windows rig needs to be running for the process to work. I found the chrome work around on CNETs website. I'll do a quick write up on what I did:

1. Download Google Chrome (if you don't already have it)
2. Access Chromes App store, and download Chrome Remote Desktop (there are others, but I trusted this one being that it comes from Google directly, and best of all....its free)
3. Access Chrome Remote Desktop, click on Get Started under My Computers section
4. Click enable remote connections
5. Agree to CRD installer (it will download the driver from Google)
6. Create a 6 digit security pin for your host PC
7. On the Chromebook, open chrome and launch CRD
8. Click get started in My Computers
9. You should see your PC listed, enter the 6 digit pin number and click connect

Admittedly the process works best on the Chromebook in full screen mode, rather than in a window. Also the stream is only as good as the internet connection, or connections if your out and about. If your internet connection is laggy, so will your access to the host PC. But to end the stream, just exit Chrome and the connection is cut.
20180821_100039.jpg

darkhog

Admittedly, this solution works for any OS that has RDP or VNC client. But you still need a windows "server" for it to work and as such your solution is sub-par for anyone who wants to go completely windows-free.

AFAIK Josh is planning to make a Linux-compatible version of NM in future (apparently, from what he said on FB, he was using Linux ever since first distros) and since ChromeOS is basically a Linux with chrome as it's "desktop manager" (yes, really) all you'd need to do would be to install relevant packages (most likely, a real desktop environment, such as XFCE and Mono) and once the Linux version happens, you'll be able to run it.

mercuriusfm

I don't use linux, but there is this post with instructions on how to run it on linux: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=406

WolfMerrik

That is definitely pretty styling!
If you really want to get crazy, see if you can get it to run on a Linux distro installed on your Chromebook via Crouton.

Mihoshi20

WolfMerrik said:
That is definitely pretty styling!
If you really want to get crazy, see if you can get it to run on a Linux distro installed on your Chromebook via Crouton.

There are quite a few issues still. I've probably been the most successful getting it to run ( http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=565#p3451 ), but it crashes when trying to load a pre-existing project. It makes me very happy to see so many Linux users here though.

WolfMerrik

Although I have not myself tried it yet on Wine, I do use Linux as my primary OS (Ubuntu is my jam ATM). Thankfully I need Windows 10 for School so I do have that as well. Which also means that NESMaker is an ample distraction when I should be doing school work, so... maybe that is not 100% a good thing haha. Maybe I will have a go with getting it on a wine installation this weekend though. There is of course, always the possibility of running it in a VM.

New Challange: Chromebook using remote desktop to a Windows 10 OS, running NESMaker on a Linux VM using wine?

matthew954

I dabble with Linux on occasion. I used to use Linux Mint on an old Dell XPS 1501 laptop. I've also used Ubuntu, but preferred Mint since it mimicked Windows.

Top Bottom