NES Classic Error

battagline

Hi, I installed hakchi2 on my computer so I could try and get my game.nes file working on the NES Classic.

However I got the following error saying the Mapper 30 isn't supported:

Mapper30.png

Is that something that can be changed so I can play it on the NES Classic?

Thanks,
Rick

did you install retroarch from the mod store and the fceumm core?

if so press yes, and then once it's in the list, right click on the title and at the bottom of the dropdown menu choose 'select emulation core'
and point it to fceumm.

should be good as gold after that.

briefs

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/

That's a good resource for everything NES Classic Hacking. They'll get you up to speed

battagline

So what exactly is Mapper 30 and why is it needed. I'm not sure I want to go and replace the emulator on the NES Classic... seems like it would be better to try and make the code work with the emulator that's there (if possible). If it can't it would be nice to understand why not.

Thanks

chronosv2

Mapper 30 is needed because it's the underlying hardware framework that NESMaker runs its code on. The mapper handles how memory is addressed on the system and what features a game has. That's why it's important.
Apparently you can modify a ROM's header somehow to make it Mapper 2 (which runs fine in less advanced emulators) but you cut out some of NESMaker's features (Animated tiles and savegame support) and it's a nasty, messy progress you have to do by hand and won't be able to get any support for.

mapper = the pcb layout of the actual cartridge and how the nes should read from it.
there's roughly 255 different ones that exist and are playable on an nes.

basically the emulator nintendo went with for the nes classic doesn't support a decent of the nes/famicom library.
they really only needed a small handful of mappers to cover the games in the collection.

when you add an alternate core from hakchi, it doesn't overwrite or remove the preexisting one,
you can just have it boot up when there's a "troublesome" game.

battagline

That's interesting. So there are probably many "troublesome" games out there if I were to download other roms online or something like that.

Thanks for your help,
Rick

yeah, and what surprised me was how it wasn't just some famicom games either.
a few of the mega man games, some tengen titles, batman: return of the joker, etc.)

i don't get why nintendo decided to use an open source emu for the classic and then didn't try for a wider support one?

oh well a few simple clicks, and you're gold.
hakchi can't brick your system as it can reflash your system to factory settings.

briefs

functionalform said:
yeah, and what surprised me was how it wasn't just some famicom games either.
a few of the mega man games, some tengen titles, batman: return of the joker, etc.)

i don't get why nintendo decided to use an open source emu for the classic and then didn't try for a wider support one?

oh well a few simple clicks, and you're gold.
hakchi can't brick your system as it can reflash your system to factory settings.

They didn't use an open source Emu, they used an in house Emu developed by Nintendo NERD specifically to run the games on the system. No other games are meant to be played on the classic so there's no reason to have wider compatibility.

https://www.nerd.nintendo.com/

Mihoshi20

Really it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be a retron 5 type situation and that Nintendo studied open source emulator code before making their own implementation. After-all, iNES headers were found in Virtual Console roms and it's interesting how Nintendo was able to have so many different systems on the VC so quickly and easily. Let alone ported to ARM for the NES Classic Edition, though least with the Classic Edition they documented open source code and software used which is more then I can say for Hyperkin.

darkhog

They could have also pay off emulator devs to port their emulator to the specific console (for VC). We wouldn't even necessarily know about it as it could be subject to an NDA deal. It would also explain why VC was seemingly reset on each console - they have had to make new deals both with emu devs and game companies.

Mihoshi20

darkhog said:
They could have also pay off emulator devs to port their emulator to the specific console (for VC). We wouldn't even necessarily know about it as it could be subject to an NDA deal. It would also explain why VC was seemingly reset on each console - they have had to make new deals both with emu devs and game companies.

Though I like the idea of emulator developers getting paid for their time and effort towards the hobby, it just doesn't seem Big N's style and nearly all emulators are released under the GPL and the fact that Big N hasn't released the source code they use for their emulators or if they tried to get the developers to sign an NDA would be a direct violation of the GPL. It's more likely IMO that Big N studied open source code and developed their own implementation or just pulled a Hyperkin/Ultracade and blatantly ripped the code off.

darkhog

GPL allows for dual licensing, you know. Many projects I know have GPL for non-commercial use and separate for commercial usage.

Bucket Mouse

functionalform said:
did you install retroarch from the mod store and the fceumm core?

if so press yes, and then once it's in the list, right click on the title and at the bottom of the dropdown menu choose 'select emulation core'
and point it to fceumm.

should be good as gold after that.

This option isn't there. "Select emulation core" does not appear on the list when you right-click the game's name.I get "Download box art," "Compress selected games," "Decompress selected games" and on, but no emulation core option.

and yes, FCEUMM is there in the User Mod stuff. Also, I've tried the most recent and some older versions of Hakchi and it isn't there in either one.

Where are you finding this????

Top Bottom